Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using iPhone as camera for Quicktime recording

Hi.

I would really like to be able to make videos on my MacBook Pro (2020, M1) using my iPhone 12 Pro Max as the camera.

I connect my iPhone to my laptop, lighting to usb c cable, all good so far.

I open Quicktime Player, start a New Movie Recording, and select my phone there as the camera.

The problem is that I'm getting (and recording) the complete screen, like a screen capture recording, complete with all the overlays and controls and stuff ... I want it to just record what the lens sees, like it would if you were using Epoccam with Zoom or something.

Is there a way to access the camera in my iPhone on my laptop for Quicktime, or any other piece of software where I can record video on my laptop?

I of course know that I could just record the video on my phone, but there are reasons why it would be much better to be making movies directly on my laptop ... it's in a music teaching situation and everything revolves around being able to immediately play back on the larger screen for the student to see. Etc etc ...

Thanks for whatever ideas anyone might have.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 1:07 AM

As far as I know, there's no way to hide the interface elements of the Camera app.

You can try to record using third party apps instead like Clean Feed (or similars) or running Camera Viewer on your Mac.

Similar questions

2 replies

using iPhone as camera for Quicktime recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.