Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone and iPad always connect to a 2.4G network band?

I have a simple network setup at my home.

1. A fiber-optic network internet connection
  2. A Linksys AC1200 router
  3. A Linksys RE4100W Extender

I have tried setting up both, the same SSID for the router bands and the extender bands, respectively and, different SSID for the extender bands.

However it is, my iPhone SE 2016 and iPad Pro 2016 and, weirdly sometimes, my MacBook Pro (Early 2015,) all, seem to rush in to connect with any 2.4G band, whilst I still have Auto Join unchecked for these bands. On the contrary, I have checked Auto Join for 5G bands - just plainly ignored.

Ultimately, I have to do some tapping on the devices to Switch OFF and ON (using the Control Centre,) go to Settings > WiFi, and then select my preferred 5G Band.

This happens every time /day. Even after a couple of resets on the devices.

Please advice.

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 7:19 AM

The device will connect to the band with the stronger signal if the SSID is the same for both bands, and 2.4 GHz is almost always stronger than 5 GHz. If you want it to always connect to 5 GHz change the SSID for 5 GHz and make it different, then “forget” the SSID for the 2.4 GHz band.

Similar questions

2 replies

Why does my iPhone and iPad always connect to a 2.4G network band?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.