Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text messaging to Android

Have a sIster currently using a Med Alert Device.

She has an Android phone but the phone had to be tethered to her iPad in order for the Med Alert to function. So now its a real mess.

If I text her from my iPhone the text ONLY shows up on her Ipad. She ‘s fighting technology, does not understand SMS vs iMessage. Is there a way to get the texts to come to her phone again. Don’t suggest her using the IPAD to text back. Been there, done that. She wants her texts on her phone period.

is there

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 9:32 AM

Based on what you posted there are two possibilities. Either she had an iPhone and the number is registered to her Apple ID or the email is selected when sending a message. She can deregister the phone number here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

If it's not registered, when you're sending the message you have the email selected instead of the phone number. Both phone numbers and emails are used for iMessage. Definitely make sure that you're using the phone number. If you are sending it to the phone number, then the phone number is registered to her Apple ID and should be deregistered. Otherwise she won't get a message from anyone sending her a message from an Apple device to her phone number.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2021 9:32 AM in response to deb_eve

Based on what you posted there are two possibilities. Either she had an iPhone and the number is registered to her Apple ID or the email is selected when sending a message. She can deregister the phone number here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

If it's not registered, when you're sending the message you have the email selected instead of the phone number. Both phone numbers and emails are used for iMessage. Definitely make sure that you're using the phone number. If you are sending it to the phone number, then the phone number is registered to her Apple ID and should be deregistered. Otherwise she won't get a message from anyone sending her a message from an Apple device to her phone number.

Aug 29, 2021 11:22 AM in response to deb_eve

How was the phone tethered to the iPad exactly? Because unless its an iPhone, there is no way to get SMS messages sent to an Android phone number on an iPad. Also not sure why the Med alert would require any tethering at all.

You are going to have to explain exactly what she or you did to set all this up, and what Med alert device you are using so we can understand what may have happened and how to undo it.

If you are using her Apple ID to message her from your iPhone, then will get sent to the iPad, but that would have nothing to do with any tether.

Send the messages to her phone number only, and they should be received by the Android Phone only.

Aug 29, 2021 1:52 PM in response to Phil0124

I have no answers to any of your questions. But I do know that there’s NO cellular on her Ipad.

Actually he called it “linking”. Possibly tethering is the wrong word??

Shes 81, in poor health and her son set it up.

I’m in Texas, shes in CA. It all came to light as our family in Texas had been texting her and getting no response. When a call was placed to she and her son to see if she was doing ok because of her not answering texts, he discovered all the texts, mine, my husbands, my sons were all sitting in iMessage on the Ipad.

none on the Android phone.

I turned off Imessage on my phone. Tried another text. She has not answered. Her son is trying to get this resolved, hopefully he can. we spoke to her from her Android device last night….same number we have always used for both texting and talking.

The most important thing is that Med Alert works, so I don’t want to give advice and then have that fail.

thank you for your time. If tethering is the wrong word maybe that may change your answer.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it

Aug 29, 2021 2:15 PM in response to deb_eve

As I don’t know exactly what “tethering” or “linking” mean in regards to what was done to the iPad and Android phone, its hard to offer any advice to fix it. What exactly was done to accomplish this “linking”?

Here’s a test if you have an Android phone handy. Try sending a message to her number from the Android phone and see if it arrives on her Android phone.

If it does, then I may have an idea of what happened. But without any details its very very hard to provide any kind of advice.

Aug 29, 2021 3:03 PM in response to deb_eve

deb_eve wrote:
but regardless you'd think if I message was turned off on MY phone it should go thru to her
Android device as a SMS

Possibly. I’m thinking the phone number was added to her Apple ID, so now all Apple devices will default to sending iMessages rather than SMS when the number is used.

If messages you send now appear in a blue bubble in the Messages App when you use her phone number, then it means its being sent as an iMessage rather than as an SMS and as such would not be sent to the Android phone but to an Apple device only instead.

IF it appears in green, then its an SMS.

If that is the case, then they would have to access her Apple ID and remove her number from it.

Not sure why any app or device would require that however unless the device needs to make a call, but even then just adding the number to the Apple ID would not let the iPad make cellular calls directly. So I’m still puzzled why that would have been done.

Aug 30, 2021 1:15 PM in response to deb_eve

Having the number associated with the Apple ID / iPad, and having it associated with the App should be independent. Removing it from the iPad so she can receive messages from Apple device on her Android phone, should not affect the App itself. At least if the App is not using the Apple ID.

But again, since no more details have been offered, it's impossible to know for sure what is going on.

I would try at least to look into removing the number from her Apple ID. It can always be added back if there is an issue with the Med Alert device.

If you can at least find you some details of the setup it would help immensely in trying to help her resolve the issue.

Text messaging to Android

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.