Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover accidently SMS/iMessages

I have "backup to iCloud" turned on and messages are set to use iCloud.

I accidentally deleted a thread of messages from one person.

I immediately turned back up to iCloud off.

It seems to me that because messages synch to iCould and they don't appear to be included in the iCloud backup then I can not recover the messages, even by overwriting my iPhone with the iCloud backup.

It seems ridiculous that Apple does not have the ability to create a snapshot of messages.

It also doesn't seem to have a facility to back up a specific message, a thread of messages or all messages except using screenshots or laboriously selecting each message in a thread and then emailing them to yourself.

I have resorted to using Dr Fone to keep snapshot backups of messages but to do that I need to connect to my PC. It would be wonderful if someone developed an App that would save messages to a cloud service.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 8:04 PM

You are right. You have Messages in iCloud set to ON. This action does not include messages in the iCloud backup files. This now works as a syncing process which is live and instant when there is an internet connection. Once you deleted the thread, then it was deleted from iCloud as well and it cannot be recovered. But, you already know all of this.

I recommend that you provide direct feedback to Apple here ➔ Product Feedback - Apple with your thoughts as well.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2021 8:04 PM in response to normanfrommurrumbeena

You are right. You have Messages in iCloud set to ON. This action does not include messages in the iCloud backup files. This now works as a syncing process which is live and instant when there is an internet connection. Once you deleted the thread, then it was deleted from iCloud as well and it cannot be recovered. But, you already know all of this.

I recommend that you provide direct feedback to Apple here ➔ Product Feedback - Apple with your thoughts as well.

Axel F.

Recover accidently SMS/iMessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.