Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to include still photos to a HDR Project

On my iPhone 12 Pro Max I am

• filming in 4K, HDR
  • taking Photos (using Smart HDR)

In my Projects I would like to mix my HDR Videos with my Photos.

I create a HDR Library (Wide Gamut HDR) where my Videos are imported. After that I drop some Video Clips (4K HDR) to the Timeline.

After that I create another Library where my Photos are imported and drop a Photo to the Timeline. The Videos are OK but the Photos are dark (the Color Space does not match). For the Photos I have tried using both Standard and Wide Gamut HDR Librarys but the Photos turns out dark in both cases.

So my question is, what do I do to be able to mix my (iPhone) Photos in the same Project as my (iPhone) 4K HDR Videos?

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 1:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 3:58 AM

Stills HDR and video HDR use the same name but mean two different things. Smart HDR is a way of combining two different exposures to produce a single image that combines the two. Video HDR is a way of processing the file so it has a high dynamic range, higher than standard Rec 709 dynamic range that gives the user more latitude and control in adjusting the image. You will also find that titles also appear dark in a 2020 project. Basically you have to raise the luminance of the stills and titles to match the color space of the project. This is easiest to do in the Exposure Color Board, just raise the overall level.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2021 3:58 AM in response to stto

Stills HDR and video HDR use the same name but mean two different things. Smart HDR is a way of combining two different exposures to produce a single image that combines the two. Video HDR is a way of processing the file so it has a high dynamic range, higher than standard Rec 709 dynamic range that gives the user more latitude and control in adjusting the image. You will also find that titles also appear dark in a 2020 project. Basically you have to raise the luminance of the stills and titles to match the color space of the project. This is easiest to do in the Exposure Color Board, just raise the overall level.

Aug 30, 2021 9:43 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I use the HD 1080 (x 1920), I should have been more exact, sorry.

I think I will do as you suggests.

• I'll edit the "Master" as a 4K HDR Project and change the color space for the stills (Exposure - Highlights) and export this as a 4K HDR.
  • Then I duplicate the Project and change the settings to 1080 (SDR), and use the HDR Tools Effect on the Videos and export as 1080 SDR

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.

Aug 30, 2021 9:59 AM in response to stto

Sorry, this is what you ment

• Edit the "Master" in 4K HDR (not doing anything to the Stills and Titles)
  • Duplicate the Project and change to 1080 SDR
  • Go back to the "Master" and change the color space for the stills (Exposure - Highlights) and export this as a 4K HDR
  • Go to the 1080 SDR Project and apply HDR Effects to the videos and export this as a 1080 SDR

Right?

Aug 30, 2021 5:26 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank's for helping me out.

I have tried what you suggested (I increased Exposure - Highlights to 80%) and the Photos looks as I want them to look.

In other 2K SDR Projects I have used 4K HDR Videos and applied the HDR Tools Effect. I guess that this converts Rec.2020 to Rec.709? It would be nice to have an Effect that could be applied to Photos in a HDR Project, doing a Rec.709 to Rec.2020 conversion.

One thing that is bothering me is that when I do my Projects I have to do one 4K HDR Project and one identical 2K SDR Project.

Right now I am working on a Project of an funural ;) At Funerals there are a number of older people and a number of younger people. The older typically do not have what it takes to play a 4K HDR (phones, 4K TV's, Apple TV 4K, computers etc) so they need a 2K SDR but the younger tech savvy will want a 4K HDR

I just want to do the editing once and do 2 Exports, 1 2K SDR and 1 4K HDR (ideally from the same Timeline)

Aug 30, 2021 7:33 AM in response to stto

How are you doing the 2K exports? Apple Devices doesn't have a 2K preset; it only has 4K or HD output 1080 or 720.

There is no simple way to do this as the color spaces have to be different. The simplest way I can find I think is to do the edit in 4K without adjusting the titles and stills. Then use the Duplicate Project as function in the Edit menu. You can then change the frame size and the color space. Fix the luma for stills and titles in the 4K project and apply HDR Effects to the video in 2K project.

If you're applying the same luma correction to the titles and stills, using copy and paste attributes from one to the rest is the quickest way I think. The timeline index will help you select the items.

How to include still photos to a HDR Project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.