Why can I not import my HDR photos from my iphone 13 to my PC?

I use an iphone 13 and mostly shoot Live photos - with the View Full HDR setting ON in the Photos settings

When I review the shots - especially outdoor landscapes, I can see the HDR effects clearly on the images as I review them. If there was a wide range of brights and shadows in the image, the HDR image will "pop" with details in the bright areas and the dark areas. Kind of a glow... It typically improves the dramatic effect of the shot.

But when I try to move or copy those shots off the phone to my pc...the images do not show the HDR effect, only an "averaged" exposure...as if there was no HDR turned on...

I cannot seem to copy the improved HDR version...

Anyone have any reason what I ma doing wrong - or why this is happening?

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 5:33 PM

You haven't told us anything about how you went about copied these photos to your computer - what tool(s) you used to do the copy, what format you stored them in on the computer, and what tool(s) you used to view them. Those details might help somebody here recognize your problem. It might be a simple incompatibility in one of the tools.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2023 5:33 PM in response to storybookpages

You haven't told us anything about how you went about copied these photos to your computer - what tool(s) you used to do the copy, what format you stored them in on the computer, and what tool(s) you used to view them. Those details might help somebody here recognize your problem. It might be a simple incompatibility in one of the tools.

Sep 24, 2023 7:47 PM in response to markwmsn

Thank you for your reply, markwmsm.

To answer your question...I copied the images directly from my iphone to the Dell PC by connecting the iphone 13 directly to the PC running Windows 10 using a USB cable.

On the PC Screen (HP 2310) using Windows File Explorer, I selected the images from the iphone and copy/pasted them into a folder on the PC....

I selected several good examples of HDR photos on the iphone and compared the iphone version of the images with the image on the pc screen and the versions on the corresponding images on the pc screen showed none of the HDR effects there were very evident on the iphone version of the same photo.

What I have since discovered - or suspect - is that the reason I cannot see the same effects on the pc is that the screen used to fully view and appreciate HDR images must have HDR capability. And I'm sure the screen I was using is at least 10 years old...

I believe that may be the problem and I'm experimenting with other monitors now to see how the same images show up....

As you can tell, I'm very new to this HDR technique but am amazed at the remarkable effects it can produce on my images.

What have others found? I'd appreciate any suggestions or shared experiences.

Thanks.

Why can I not import my HDR photos from my iphone 13 to my PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.