Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cookies and website data keep appearing

Why do cookies and website data keep appearing - even after I clear them all, close down safari and don't visit any sites when reopening.

I use private browsing. I have duckduckgo extension installed. I don't have any smart search field options enabled.

There should be no reason for any cookies or website data to have to load in a brand new session.

Is there any solution to this? Thanks!

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 12:32 PM

billc270 wrote:.
There should be no reason for any cookies or website data to have to load in a brand new session.

Cookies are always loaded unless you check "Block all cookies" in Safari Preferences->Privacy.

Be aware that blocking all cookies can cause some websites that you visit frequently not to work properly.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2021 12:32 PM in response to billc270

billc270 wrote:.

Cookies are always loaded unless you check "Block all cookies" in Safari Preferences->Privacy.

Be aware that blocking all cookies can cause some websites that you visit frequently not to work properly.

Aug 31, 2021 2:05 PM in response to billc270

Are we talking about Evercookie ??

If so

1 - Close Safari first

2 - On desktop go to GO and then GO TO FOLDER

3 - Copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Databases

4 - A  folder called _indexedDB

5 - Open _indexedDB

6 - See another folder called v1 and open it

7 - The folder inside the v1 can be Drag and Drop to Trash

8 - Launch Safari again and check if all is ok

Sep 9, 2021 5:21 AM in response to PRP_53

This is great, thank you. Though, I didn't try it yet bc it looks complicated.

Before I do, if I do this once, I guess I'll be doing it again every so often, correct?

PS The re-appearing cookies happen every so often. Usually I can clear them once and they stay cleared, at least for a while. When they re-appear, sometimes I can clear them and a second later (staying in the privacy pane) check and there are persistent ones that keep showing. If I'm insistent and keep clicking "remove" again and again, the last remaining persistent ones leave. At least for a while.

Sep 9, 2021 5:47 AM in response to PRP_53

PPS Oh and evercookie. What's interesting is that this is on a new Mac which I have done super limited browsing. Practically none. It seems evercookie would get into a local file after I visit a site. Though the persistent cookies that keep showing are from sites I visited long ago on other/past Macs and iOS devices.

I guess it's pulling from bookmarks etc. However, if those cookies with evercookies are showing, the only way I think they could is if Safari is reaching out to those sites. I can only say this because it's a new Mac that I haven't browsed anywhere with beyond a handful and from the very beginning those were with DuckDuckGo and private window and clearing before leaving any site.

I would think Apple with its laser focus on privacy would be able to contain this sort of thing esp since it involves local access. Or maybe (probably) I'm missing something.

cookies and website data keep appearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.