Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serial Number wont qualify MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 Battery recall

My MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 gets super hot, its budging on the bottom and the top wont close properly. It's slowly been getting worse so I googled it and I see its a battery swelling thing and there has been a recall on my make of laptop.

When I put my serial number in on the recall page it says mine doesn't qualify because I either already did the recall or it doesn't have the right serial number.

I can't afford to get it fixed right now so I am wondering, Is it safe to just keep using for now? Why isn't it covered if its a MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 and has that exact problem?

Thank you.

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 5:53 PM

That's something you better call Apple Support directly for help Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support. They might ask you to go to an Apple Store or Authorized (an Apple Store would be better) to get your Mac properly checked. It might be that even if it doesn't show as eligible to the Service Program, they might realize that it in fact has the same problem and decide to include you in the program. Do not give up on the first attempt if you get a no.

About using your Mac in this condition, I strongly advise you not to. Good energy control (I mean good batteries, energy circuit boards, power supplies) is essential for complex electronic devices. Minor changes in it might permanently damage components, making your Mac behave erratic or simply kill it.

Go for service as soon as you can to avoid losing your Mac.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2021 5:53 PM in response to Hailstorm123

That's something you better call Apple Support directly for help Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support. They might ask you to go to an Apple Store or Authorized (an Apple Store would be better) to get your Mac properly checked. It might be that even if it doesn't show as eligible to the Service Program, they might realize that it in fact has the same problem and decide to include you in the program. Do not give up on the first attempt if you get a no.

About using your Mac in this condition, I strongly advise you not to. Good energy control (I mean good batteries, energy circuit boards, power supplies) is essential for complex electronic devices. Minor changes in it might permanently damage components, making your Mac behave erratic or simply kill it.

Go for service as soon as you can to avoid losing your Mac.

Sep 3, 2021 8:07 PM in response to Hailstorm123

FYI, the Battery Recall only deals with a fire safety issue and not a swollen battery issue. These two issues are completely different. If the laptop is less than three years old Apple may replace a swollen battery for free under a secret free repair program (our organization has had Apple replace swollen batteries on our laptops that are less than three years old), otherwise users are required to pay for the replacement of a swollen battery.

Serial Number wont qualify MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 Battery recall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.