Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac mail stopped receiving new emails

Hi,

I 'collect' emails on my iPhone and iMac. I have an apple icloud address (.mac), an old mobile me (xxxyyy@me.com) address and an exchange address. A few days ago the apple ones stopped receiving emails on the iMac and the warning triangle appeared adjacent to each compromised account. The exchange emails continued to come and go successfully. All emails come and go on the iPhone. I haven't changed any settings or updated any software recently.

Connection Doctor reports a green button and that Mail can connect to the internet. The mobile me account says 'log in to this SMTP account failed. Verify that username and password are correct' or sometimes that 'Could not connect to MobileMe IMAP server check network connection and that you entered correct information in the Account preferences. Also verify that the server supports SSL ..."

The iCloud IMAP reports, 'Could not connect to iCloud IMAP server check network connection and that you entered correct information in the Account preferences. Also verify that the server supports SSL ..."

The iMac is a much loved and fully functioning older (obsolete) model (OSX10.10.5) I keep because a) it works and b) it has lots of expensive non-subscription software.

Have apple changed mail settings recently? Very recently? Apple website says this OS is good for mail. What should the settings be? They seem pretty much correct and, in any case, haven't been changed. One issue I note is that on the web its suggests Outgoing mail server SMTP should be smtp.mail.me.com whereas I see smtp.me.com

The system keeps trying and the log always ends:

READ Sep 01 17:35:32.024 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelTLSv1_0] -- host:smtp.me.com -- port:587 -- socket:0x600000aa0480 -- thread:0x600014071040

250-st43p00im-zteg10063501.me.com

250-PIPELINING

250-SIZE 28311552

250-ETRN

250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN ATOKEN

250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

250-8BITMIME

250-DSN

250 CHUNKING

Thoughts and help appreciated.

PS Re-booted iMac, deleted and re-installed one mail account and tried restore from Time Machine al to no avail.

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 10:26 AM

This is a post from my thread about a similar problem:

The support person that I spoke to (I was passed up the tree from first line) advised visiting https://appleid.apple.com and then generating an app specific password, and using that in the authentication setup in Outlook. This worked.

I think that someone at Apple has been making changes to the security settings. I wonder if the solution given to me would help you.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2021 10:26 AM in response to MervynG

This is a post from my thread about a similar problem:

The support person that I spoke to (I was passed up the tree from first line) advised visiting https://appleid.apple.com and then generating an app specific password, and using that in the authentication setup in Outlook. This worked.

I think that someone at Apple has been making changes to the security settings. I wonder if the solution given to me would help you.

iMac mail stopped receiving new emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.