Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing newer Final Cut Pro video bundles on an older FCP app?

I have a bunch of new Final Cut Pro video files created on FCP 10.5.2 on a MacPro running OS BigSur, that I need to be able to access on a Mac that is running OS Catalina.

Q: Can you install FCP 10.5.2 on a MacPro running OS Catalina?

Q: If you can, would there be any issues opening an FCP bundle created on OS BigSur on a Mac running OS Catalina?

Q: If not, can you open a file created in FCP 10.5.2 in an older version of FCP?

I realize that the best bet would be to upgrade to the latest versions, but due to a variety of issues with other apps, that is not possible at this time.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your input.

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 10:01 AM

You can install it on Catalina 10.15.6 or 7.

No, as long as they're running the same version.

No, you can't. You might be a export an XML that will open in an older version as long it doesn't use tools which aren't available in the older version.

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 1, 2021 10:06 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom, I combined my questions with your answers for the benefit of future users. I really appreciate your help.

Q: Can you install FCP 10.5.2 on a MacPro running OS Catalina?

A: You can install it on Catalina 10.15.6 or 7.

Q: If you can, would there be any issues opening an FCP bundle created on OS BigSur on a Mac running OS Catalina?

A: No, as long as they're running the same version.

Q: If not, can you open a file created in FCP 10.5.2 in an older version of FCP?

A: No, you can't. You might be a export an XML that will open in an older version as long it doesn't use tools which aren't available in the older version.

Editing newer Final Cut Pro video bundles on an older FCP app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.