Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync books from MacBook Pro to iPad Pro

I have some ebooks on my MacBook Pro. I'd like to sync them to my iPad Pro so that I can read them on it. However, Sync did not do that when they were connected. How can I transfer the book files from my MacBook Pro to my iPad Pro?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 2:22 PM

Do you know what format the ebooks are in? There are a number, including open formats and formats specific to apps.

Adobe Digital Editions supports EPUB and PDF/A formats according to the Welcome book and Apple Books supports both (and others), so I suppose one of those must be the format you have.

After trying it for myself, I see what you mean about Finder not being able to sync from Apple Books to the iPad/iPhone. (I would not expect it to sync from Finder folders.) I thought I had that working, but it was several releases ago.

Have you tried using AirDrop to transfer one or two books, just to see if you can read them?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2021 2:22 PM in response to stevegoldfield

Do you know what format the ebooks are in? There are a number, including open formats and formats specific to apps.

Adobe Digital Editions supports EPUB and PDF/A formats according to the Welcome book and Apple Books supports both (and others), so I suppose one of those must be the format you have.

After trying it for myself, I see what you mean about Finder not being able to sync from Apple Books to the iPad/iPhone. (I would not expect it to sync from Finder folders.) I thought I had that working, but it was several releases ago.

Have you tried using AirDrop to transfer one or two books, just to see if you can read them?

Sep 2, 2021 1:09 PM in response to markwmsn

I have them in a file on the Mac. If I click on the file, they open in Apple Books. I can also open them in Adobe Digital Editions. I'd like to be able to open them on my iPad. Apple Books seems to be very buggy so I'd prefer to open them in Kindle or Digital Editions, which is also very buggy but not as bad as the Books app. My question, however, is how I get them into the iPad. Sync does not seem to move them.

How to sync books from MacBook Pro to iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.