Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting cocoAspell (2.5) to work under macOS 11.5.2

I would like to use aspell dictioniaries for spellchecking, e.g. in Mail.app (macOS 11.5.2). I didn't use any external spell checker befor on any macOS. So it's the first time I'm dealing with cocoAspell here.

I can install cocoAspell 2.5 from the DMG. An icon appears in Systemsettings->Spelling and I can choose (tic) dictionaries. I can also see which .rws file is being used.

Later, when writing an email in Mail.app pressing CMD+SHIFT: I can see the selected dictionaries in the dialog that pops up on the key combination.

The selected dictionaries appear with a suffix "(Aspell)" in the dialog box. Choosing one of thes Aspell-dictionaries results in the spell checking dialog not functioning. No words list appears nor is the advance to next button functioning.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 2:45 AM

From what they say on their website November 8, 2016. Updating cocoAspell to make it compatible with the latest macOS versions. cocoAspel 2.5 requires macOS 10.11 or higher.

There is No Specific mention of Big Sur compatibilities.

Suggest checking with the Developer of the Application for updates especially Big Sur versions.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2021 2:45 AM in response to chriskuku

From what they say on their website November 8, 2016. Updating cocoAspell to make it compatible with the latest macOS versions. cocoAspel 2.5 requires macOS 10.11 or higher.

There is No Specific mention of Big Sur compatibilities.

Suggest checking with the Developer of the Application for updates especially Big Sur versions.

getting cocoAspell (2.5) to work under macOS 11.5.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.