Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

creating a partition to be read by mac and win - EXFAT?

I have been reading articles, and am getting different advice. I have an external HD that I want to create a partition to be able to copy and transfer files from a windows computer. The computers I will be going to have both win 7 and 10, maybe 11.

Directions say to create a partition but use EXFAT for formatting on the drop down menu. Will this cover win 7 through 11?

I am asking because I have had trouble with this in the past with windows.

I may also create a USB drive since they are cheap and have large volumes. Will EXFAT work on those too for win 7 and 10?

Cheers.

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 10:08 AM

Microsoft originated the exFAT specification so it is supported in all versions of Windows that you mention. One can format a partition on the Mac as exFAT using Disk Utility, but it may be slightly different than an exFAT format when done on Windows. You will have to test this, for desired interoperability.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2021 10:08 AM in response to nelsonmay

Microsoft originated the exFAT specification so it is supported in all versions of Windows that you mention. One can format a partition on the Mac as exFAT using Disk Utility, but it may be slightly different than an exFAT format when done on Windows. You will have to test this, for desired interoperability.

creating a partition to be read by mac and win - EXFAT?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.