Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external drive formatting Mac to PC

From the reading I've already done it seems like I should be able to format an external HD as exFAT and then be able to use that to transfer data to a PC. I've done that, and Mac won't let me drag and drop files from the Mac to the exFAT formatted external drive.

My mac's about to die I suppose anyway as it greys out the screen for a few seconds when coming out of sleep (it has an only 3 yo HD in it).

I just want to get all my photos and music off the Mac.

I'm using Mojave on an old 2012 Mac mini. Yes, I am going to buy a new setup, but I do need to get that data off for whatever computer I get.

Thanks all!

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 2:45 PM

I'm falling into a rabbit hole with this

No, no rabbit hole . . . , in any case, you have already secured the songs on that external drive.

You can also transfer (copy & paste) the photos to the external drive.

A question: what iPod type/version do you have?

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2023 2:45 PM in response to captainjaneway

I'm falling into a rabbit hole with this

No, no rabbit hole . . . , in any case, you have already secured the songs on that external drive.

You can also transfer (copy & paste) the photos to the external drive.

A question: what iPod type/version do you have?

Mar 8, 2023 11:53 AM in response to captainjaneway

I have an iPod Nano 3rd gen (2007) - 8 GB - software version 1.1.3 here.

Windows OS 10 PC and macOS Catalina recognizes the iPod. 

If I may say, don't buy iPod Nano anymore, they are all outdated. You can no longer have the batteries replaced.

The click wheel is also a sensitive part of iPod Nano.

You would have to make clear agreements with the seller, but you would not get a guarantee.

For information see ⤵️

iPod Nano Wikipedia -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Nano

iPod Touch Wikipedia -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch

In May 2022, Apple announced that after over 20 years, the iPod Touch, and the iPod line as a whole, were to be discontinued; the iPod Touch would remain available only while supplies last.

Also read this before you buy a newer iPod, it has nothing to do with iPod Nano, but it has to do with iPod Touch.

With iPod Touch you also need an Apple ID, a Passcode, etc. Have an iPod Touch 5th gen iOS 9.3.5, can't be updated to a higer iOS.

You would buy a new or a good 2nd hand iPod Touch (7th gen), or look for a replacement such as a Sandisk mp3 player.

Keep in mind that not all mp3 players can be automatically connected to a Windows OS and a Mac OS, so check carefully before purchasing.

Thank you for your feedback and you're welcome.

Mar 6, 2023 5:28 PM in response to Raicya

I wiped the external drive and tried to reformat it, then tried C&P. That time it worked. Thanks.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to move music directly from a external drive to an ipod (yes, I'm a luddite that still loves mine. It's great for riding trains commuting).

It's interesting, but it looks like I'm moving data from the HD to the ipod on the computer, but when I open the ipod it's not there. I've been reading and I may not be able to do it. Unfortunately that space hog iTunes needs to be on the second computer.

Thanks

Mar 7, 2023 3:18 PM in response to captainjaneway

I think I found that out. Unfortunately as well, now the ipod shows as connected on the ipod, but it's not showing as a listed device in iTunes. It does show in Finder as just a data device. I can copy a song so it looks like it's in the ipod, but if I eject and look in the ipod it says there's no music.

I seem to have the updated version of iTunes (since I'm using Mojave it's not upgraded to Music).

Maybe I killed it. I checked how it's formatted against a working ipod, and they're both listed as FAT32. Used disk utility and tried to both repair and reformat. Maybe I fried to logic board. I think it thinks I'm trying to download all 59 GB of music I could copy to the external drive on the poor little 16 GB nano.

I may just need to blow taps on it. :(

Mar 7, 2023 3:23 PM in response to Raicya

Oh, it's a 16 gb ipod nano 4th gen. I'll probably just get a new one, but I thought I could reboot this one and get it going. It was working, but needs a new battery anyway. It's dies after about an hour. The other one's the Energizer bunny and just keeps going lol.

I only keep playing with it cuz I like to figure out what makes things tick

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394252195055?chn=ps&var=662767516656&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1rJlS02fGQs6l8hnhgjq7FQ95&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=662767516656_394252195055&targetid=1585159290171&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9032067&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1585159290171&abcId=9300697&merchantid=561566892&gclid=CjwKCAiA3pugBhAwEiwAWFzwdcq-Dfy643pryltVJ9jTEGZCKWagxNo9MJE_uNCBTS5vztA-cOXfhBoCQpoQAvD_BwE

external drive formatting Mac to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.