Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot find the screenshots I take using shift command 4 even though this says they should appear on my desktop, there seems to be a defect

How can I get my shift command 4 screenshots to appear on the desktop like they're supposed to and always did in the past. The apple support sites says they'll appear on the desktop just like using the screenshot app, but they don't. Has anyone found a way to fix this?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 4:15 PM

4 replies

Sep 3, 2021 12:02 AM in response to Macsareusuallygreat

Where are they being saved to.

Make a folder on your Desktop, called Screenshots for example.

Open the Screenshot app from Applications> Utilities.

Click on Options and under Save To select Screenshots or whatever you called the folder.

Now see if it works.

Check under System Preferences> Keyboard> Shortcuts

highlight Screenshots in the left hand panel and make sure all the boxes are ticked

and the default shortcuts are correct.

Sep 3, 2021 12:42 AM in response to Macsareusuallygreat

Another thing could be you have activated Stacks on your Desktop.

Click once on the Desktop to make the Finder the frontmost application.

Click View in the menubar and see if there is a tick next to Use Stacks.

Click on it once to deactivate Stacks, can you now see your screenshots.

Here is a screenshot of the Stacks I have on my mac.

If you simply click on the Stack it will expand to reveal the items contained in the Stack.

Click on the Stack once more and the items will go back into the Stack.

Sep 2, 2021 10:51 PM in response to Ferd II

Thanks for sharing this. I tried it, but on my MacBook Pro (2019 16, Big Sur) this does not fix the screenshot using Shift Command 4...it makes the snapshot click sound, but the resulting file doesn't appear on the desktop. Any idea why it's saving the file elsewhere, different from the Screenshot app? I like to use Shift Command 4 is that it's faster for making successive screenshots.

I cannot find the screenshots I take using shift command 4 even though this says they should appear on my desktop, there seems to be a defect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.