Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my old IMac 27 inch (Mid 2011 MacOS High Sierra) display for my MacBook Air 2020? Tried everything - HELP!

Can my old IMac 27 inch (Mid 2011 MacOS High Sierra) display for my MacBook Air 2020?

Tried everything here:

https://www.lifewire.com/use-imac-as-monitor-with-target-display-mode-2260906

https://www.lifewire.com/set-up-dual-monitors-on-a-mac-5116847

to make my Thunderbolt cable work, but had no success with Command +F2 + Fn keys...

It was working before on a work MacBook Pro, but not on this 2020 MacBook Air - anything I may be missing?

Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 8:36 AM

viv_17 wrote:

That's very unfortunate Apple keeps taking out simple things from us - darn!

Thanks, Dialbrain for confirming my suspicion

Cheers!

The problem is not Apple but a flood of incorrect web article about Target Display Mode. TDM was deprecated in Late 2014 and was a dead issue here—we saw maybe 1-2 questions a month before COVID. The final interment of TDM happened before COVID started.

Then COVID forced many people to work and study from home. It seems too many starving "writers," lacking editorial assistance and/or the ability to do simple research, started spewing out TDM articles with little regard for journalistic accuracy. Because of that, Target Display Mode has now been credited with things it NEVER supported.

The first article you linked was not updated to reflect new source computer information in this Apple support article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

This part:

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2021 8:36 AM in response to viv_17

viv_17 wrote:

That's very unfortunate Apple keeps taking out simple things from us - darn!

Thanks, Dialbrain for confirming my suspicion

Cheers!

The problem is not Apple but a flood of incorrect web article about Target Display Mode. TDM was deprecated in Late 2014 and was a dead issue here—we saw maybe 1-2 questions a month before COVID. The final interment of TDM happened before COVID started.

Then COVID forced many people to work and study from home. It seems too many starving "writers," lacking editorial assistance and/or the ability to do simple research, started spewing out TDM articles with little regard for journalistic accuracy. Because of that, Target Display Mode has now been credited with things it NEVER supported.

The first article you linked was not updated to reflect new source computer information in this Apple support article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

This part:

Can my old IMac 27 inch (Mid 2011 MacOS High Sierra) display for my MacBook Air 2020? Tried everything - HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.