Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Main Disk error

My main disk “Macintosh HD” has an error while trying to run it through first aid. Erasing also fails. Would appreciate your help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Sep 4, 2021 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 4:25 PM

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command +Option + R instead so the laptop doesn't use the local recovery mode found on the laptop's SSD. This may be why the "disk1" resource is busy since it may be linked to your macOS recovery mode installer.

9 replies

Sep 4, 2021 7:20 PM in response to Rame-Tarek

I've seen this type of issue before regarding the out of order listing within Disk Utility. I think I had to use the Terminal app to use the command line utilities to write zeroes to the beginning of the drive in order to destroy the partition table.

Make sure to disconnect all external devices so that you don't accidentally overwrite an external drive and destroying its data. Next launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu while booted to the macOS installer. Issue the following commands making sure to press the "Return" key at the end of each line in order to execute the command.

diskutil  list  internal

This will list all internal physical drives and virtual volumes. You need to get the drive identifier for the physical internal drive which should be the first item in the listed output of the above command if you only have a single internal drive installed. Usually the internal drive will be identified as "disk0", "disk1", or possibly "disk2". Replace "diskX" in the following command with the correct drive identifier for the physical internal drive in the following commands.

First unmount all volumes from the physical drive (remember to replace "diskX" with the correct drive identifier):

diskutil  unmountDisk  diskX  

Now write zeroes to the beginning the physical drive (remember to replace "diskX" with the correct drive identifier):

dd  if=/dev/zero  of=/dev/diskX  bs=100m  count=10 

If these commands all complete successfully, then the partition table has been destroyed so you can close the Terminal app and launch Disk Utility to properly erase the physical drive.

Sep 5, 2021 1:34 PM in response to Rame-Tarek

Try waiting a bit after issuing the commands and try the last command again after waiting a few minutes. You can just press the up arrow key to display the previous command(s) and press the "Return" key to execute the displayed command so you don't have to retype it. Perhaps it is taking longer to unmount the APFS volume (assuming it was even mounted).

Just curious how you are booting the macOS installer since there appear to be multiple images displayed on the left pane of Disk Utility.

Also what version of the macOS installer is booted?

Sep 5, 2021 2:10 PM in response to HWTech

I tried a couple of times, but after waiting approx. 10 mins in between. Still the same output. “Resource busy”

tbh I don’t quite know what you mean by the multiple images and your question about how I am booting the macOS installer. So what happens is when I start the Mac, a white folder with a question mark appears in the middle of the screen. So i shut it down while holding the power button. Then I turn it on again and hold cmd+r. That’s how I get to run the macOS Utilities.

How and where can I look the version up?

Main Disk error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.