Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard disk error message

I'm trying to upgrade to macOS Monterey and i get a message "this disk has s.m.a.r.t. errors. this disk has a hardware problem that can't be repaired back up as much of the data as possible and replace the disk." what should i do

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 1:08 AM

Do you have a Fusion drive?

Others users have reported same problem with iMacs.

Boot to Recovery and repair/First Aid the startup disk. You can't repair/First Aid the disk you booted from.

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

If you have Fusion drive, do the repair/First Aid on each disk individually.

If disk OK then delete the existing Monterey installer and boot to Safe Mode, which takes minutes and redownload the installer and try again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Suppo

However, note that you need an Apple disk installed to upgrade to Monterey since the upgrade includes an update to the Mac's firmware. That update looks for an Apple disk and write to the dick to do the firmware update. The install will terminate or freeze if no Apple disk.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2022 1:08 AM in response to JohnAfromHuntersHill

Do you have a Fusion drive?

Others users have reported same problem with iMacs.

Boot to Recovery and repair/First Aid the startup disk. You can't repair/First Aid the disk you booted from.

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

If you have Fusion drive, do the repair/First Aid on each disk individually.

If disk OK then delete the existing Monterey installer and boot to Safe Mode, which takes minutes and redownload the installer and try again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Suppo

However, note that you need an Apple disk installed to upgrade to Monterey since the upgrade includes an update to the Mac's firmware. That update looks for an Apple disk and write to the dick to do the firmware update. The install will terminate or freeze if no Apple disk.

Hard disk error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.