Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BT Mail on Mac

In an earlier discussion I queried why a BT email address was disabled after changing the password. That matter was resolved, or so thought! Whereas receiving mail is fine … when sending an email it now hangs in the Outbox and never sends. (This is not a problem on my iPhone or iPad). A forum member suggested earlier that I remove and reinstall the email account on the iMac, but by then I thought I’d resolved the issue. Would that provide a fix? If so how is that accomplished or is there another problem? As I said, all was fine until I changed the password!

Thank you

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 4, 2021 11:28 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 4, 2021 1:48 PM in response to Pops47

No too knowledgeable of British Telecom but any chances they too have brought in Application Specific Passwords required with heir mail service. ??

That or Two Factor Authorization ??

Finding this 2FA is becoming the New Normal on a lot of sites, including Banking and especially Government site.

Sep 6, 2021 3:37 AM in response to Pops47

I had this exact same problem a week or so ago on my MacBook Pro (Big Sur) and I spent a couple of hours trying to fix it. When the problem persisted when I tried a different email client (Spark), I assumed it was a btinternet issue. At the time I could still send messages from my iPhone and btinternet's webmail service and my wife could still send messages from her btinternet account on her iMac (Catalina). I could not find any way of notifying bt. However, the problem simply disappeared after 2 days.

Sep 6, 2021 8:33 AM in response to CrizzleMac

Thanks for that. As advised by BDAqua I deleted and reinstalled the email address and bingo, all up and running.

One minor irritation is that the email is now listed as 'Btinternet' (on my listing of address) as opposed to the actual email address. (sent mail is correctly listed as the actual email address). There doesn't seem to be a method of renaming as one can with Mail Folders.

BTW - I remember some years ago BT had a dedicated Apple Helpdesk - not sure if that's still the case.

BT Mail on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.