Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Photos from their origin via the Photo app

I understand that the photo app imports your photos as copies from their origin. What I want to confirm, is there a way to delete the original photo at the same time as deleting photos from the photo app? If I don't want it in Photos then I also dont want it period and dont want it taking up memory in its original location. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 4, 2021 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2021 11:10 PM

Hi

The normal process (or at least what I do) is to import all photos into the library, and then delete all of them from the "origin" (in my case the camera memory card).

Of course - if you do this, then you also need to think about backups - but you need to do that anyway. I use time machine as my first line backup, but I also do an export from photos every few weeks of all original photos added (and not subsequently deleted), which are then stored on my network drive, and then also backed up via the network drive backup.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2021 11:10 PM in response to captfromwareemba

Hi

The normal process (or at least what I do) is to import all photos into the library, and then delete all of them from the "origin" (in my case the camera memory card).

Of course - if you do this, then you also need to think about backups - but you need to do that anyway. I use time machine as my first line backup, but I also do an export from photos every few weeks of all original photos added (and not subsequently deleted), which are then stored on my network drive, and then also backed up via the network drive backup.

Deleting Photos from their origin via the Photo app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.