Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting 2nd admin user account

My husband and I used to share a computer. I was the admin. Then I got my own macbook and changed him to the admin but stayed on as another user. BUT.....when I go to user groups in preferences we both have admin by our user account names although mine is grayed out. I want to delete my user account completely trying to free up more room on the computer for his use. User Group will not let me highlight my name (with admin next to it) in order to try to delete it. What should I do to get rid of my old account? Thanks....

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 3:37 PM

Hi banby,

If your user account is greyed out in System Preferences, try these steps:

1. Make sure that you are completely logged out of your user account. You must use the other account in order to delete yours. If you're not sure whether your account is logged out, just restart your Mac, then sign in to the other account (not yours).
  2. In System Preferences, make sure that the padlock is unlocked. To do so, click on it, then enter an administrator password when prompted.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2021 3:37 PM in response to banby

Hi banby,

If your user account is greyed out in System Preferences, try these steps:

1. Make sure that you are completely logged out of your user account. You must use the other account in order to delete yours. If you're not sure whether your account is logged out, just restart your Mac, then sign in to the other account (not yours).
  2. In System Preferences, make sure that the padlock is unlocked. To do so, click on it, then enter an administrator password when prompted.

Deleting 2nd admin user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.