Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Exercise ring records 1/2 time

The last 2 days my exercise ring for outdoor walking has been off by half of what i acta walked. For example, Today I walked 45 mins 2.43 miles and the ring only recorded 21 mins. I went and played pickle ball for 56 mins totaling 101 mins. The time was recorded correctly in my fitness app for both, the ring only shows 80 mins. Anyone else having this issue?

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 1:18 PM

Based on what I have read in the replies to Workouts Not Recorded by Exercise Ring - Apple Community, unless you use "Other" or "Yoga" you have to accomplish at least one of the following for a "minute of exercise" to be counted as an "exercise minute":

1. Heart rate higher than 130
  2. Average pace lower than 18'10" per mile
  3. Speed higher than 9.5 mph

I have also heard that according to Apple Support, for the activity ring to register your workout (for outdoor walk on exercise ring) you need to maintain a speed of approximately 3.3 mph or faster and increase your heart rate to approximately 75% of your High Heart Rate (from the iPhone Watch > Heart app). This definition of a "brisk walk" is to encourage you to put more effort into the walk, (For an Outdoor Cycle its is 9.8 MPH (or 16 KPH) and 75% of your High Heart Rate.) If you slow down or pause, the watch will stop giving you exercise credit, It will still measure your steps and calories burnt but will not give you any credit towards the exercise ring or workout app. A brisk walk speed is different for everybody as the watch takes into account your age, sex, weight, and heart rate which is why it is important to calibrate the watch and have the correct details set up in the Health app,

I can't vouch for any of those specific numbers, but I'm sure there is some kind of criteria. See the "Make sure that you earn Move and Exercise credit" section in:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You should also make sure your watch is calibrated:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2021 1:18 PM in response to dottie148

Based on what I have read in the replies to Workouts Not Recorded by Exercise Ring - Apple Community, unless you use "Other" or "Yoga" you have to accomplish at least one of the following for a "minute of exercise" to be counted as an "exercise minute":

1. Heart rate higher than 130
  2. Average pace lower than 18'10" per mile
  3. Speed higher than 9.5 mph

I have also heard that according to Apple Support, for the activity ring to register your workout (for outdoor walk on exercise ring) you need to maintain a speed of approximately 3.3 mph or faster and increase your heart rate to approximately 75% of your High Heart Rate (from the iPhone Watch > Heart app). This definition of a "brisk walk" is to encourage you to put more effort into the walk, (For an Outdoor Cycle its is 9.8 MPH (or 16 KPH) and 75% of your High Heart Rate.) If you slow down or pause, the watch will stop giving you exercise credit, It will still measure your steps and calories burnt but will not give you any credit towards the exercise ring or workout app. A brisk walk speed is different for everybody as the watch takes into account your age, sex, weight, and heart rate which is why it is important to calibrate the watch and have the correct details set up in the Health app,

I can't vouch for any of those specific numbers, but I'm sure there is some kind of criteria. See the "Make sure that you earn Move and Exercise credit" section in:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You should also make sure your watch is calibrated:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Sep 14, 2021 5:58 AM in response to dottie148

I have had the same issue the past two days (a fraction of credit for actual exercise minutes), with today also including incorrect mileage and pace (watch has worked fine until yesterday). So my exercise minutes, my pace, my mileage and my calories are all incorrect now for the past two days. Even when I literally go into the Health app to manually add the workout with accurate metrics (say, enter 41 minute run during a period where my heart rate never fell below 155bpm), it would still indicate at least half those minutes on my exercise ring. I have run this route probably 100 times in the past 20 years, and I know the exact distance (it was almost .20 miles off each mile times 5 miles, and I was actually running more than 2 minutes per mile faster than the pace the entire time). I have tried all the suggestions indicated (and yes, my HR was above the threshold). I have recalibrated. I have tried to reset the pace with a new workout. Any suggestions?

Apple Watch Exercise ring records 1/2 time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.