Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Webpage memory

I keep getting a message that says the webpage I'm on is "using significant memory. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your Mac. " This message is continually popping up. I checked and I have tons of memory. I have a mid-2011 iMac and am running High Sierra. How should I respond to this message?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 10:43 AM

EtreCheck is completely safe and was developed by a trusted member of these forums. It is not uncommon for AppleCare staff to recommend that users use EtreCheck to search for issues.

If you do not want to use it there is very little we can do as we will not have any information about your system and what has been installed. BTW, EtreCheck reports do NOT include any personal information.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2021 10:43 AM in response to BigOrv

EtreCheck is completely safe and was developed by a trusted member of these forums. It is not uncommon for AppleCare staff to recommend that users use EtreCheck to search for issues.

If you do not want to use it there is very little we can do as we will not have any information about your system and what has been installed. BTW, EtreCheck reports do NOT include any personal information.

Sep 7, 2021 3:07 PM in response to BigOrv

Your welcome.

Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again.

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Sep 7, 2021 2:51 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I'm running Safari 13.1.2, the most current for High Sierra. As I stated earlier, that's the OS for my iMac (a mid-2011 model). I can't go higher (like to Mojave or Catalina) because the computer won't let me (it's a mid-2011). I have also maxed out on memory upgrades - 32GB. It says I can add, but from all I've read, I'm as high as I can go in that area. Thank you for your reply.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 8, 2021 9:52 PM in response to Old Toad

I'm thinking I have a ten-year-old computer running on an old OS and that's causing the problem. I'm noticing it on my iPhone as well as the apps are demanding more and more memory and I don't have enough memory to accommodate. I also hate the idea of adding software that may or may not solve the problem. I did that with a "free" malware app and now I can't get rid of it. I think maybe it's time for a new computer and an updated OS. Thank you all.

Sep 9, 2021 8:27 AM in response to BigOrv

If you get the free version of Etrecheck you should have no problem removing it but why? It's a good diagnostic tool to have. Actually it's the best diagnostic tool we have to evaluate a person's Mac, hardware and software wise.

What "free" malware app are you referring to? The only one that most of us will recommend is Malwarebytes. It was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community.  The free version of it is sufficient. I don't have it launched at startup. I only launch it when I want to use it.

Sep 9, 2021 10:31 AM in response to Old Toad

I am hesitant about adding software that is not directly authorized by Apple. I had Malwarebytes, which was okay, but they kept pestering me about upgrades, I mean continually; a real pain. I'll try Etrecheck, but I have to admit I'm wary. You know what they say about something that sounds too good to be true.

Webpage memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.