Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to move items (photos, videos) to trash then emty the trash, dragging them to trash does not seem to work.

My external drive is running out of space. My Mac mini keep notifying me: Not enough space to complete backup. My photo album is located on this external hard drive. Dragging video or photo to trash does not have any effect.

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 1:30 PM

Apple Photos User Guide

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/photos/welcome/mac

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 9, 2021 12:59 PM in response to Mal-S

My pictures are in the Photo app. I want to delete pictures & video within the Photo app.

If I could identify the files of the photo album from outside of the Photo app and delete them I think doing so would result in errors message sooner or later. I think the Photo app has its own file system to hide photos and videos from being delete from outside of the app.

From within the Photo app, I can remove a video from an album. After that. I empty the trash. However, the Photo app still can undo the removal of the video afterward. What I was expecting was an error message saying: 'Nope, the video is gone, your action cannot be undone' so I can be sure to clear out some space on my external hard drive.

I have gone through the trouble of relocating my photo album onto the external hard drive (sometime ago) to avoid filling up the internal hard drive. Now this external hard drive is filling up (with photo and videos) and I keep getting notification that backup was not completed because there's not enough space on my external hard drive.

I clicked everywhere in the Photo app and the the delete function is nowhere to be found.

Sep 9, 2021 1:12 PM in response to EyeFoto

For a single picture, in the Photos app right click on the photo and chose delete.

If you hold down Command you can left click on multiple pictures and when you right click you can delete all of the selected photos.

You can also left click & hold and drag to highlight pictures for deletion .

Sep 12, 2021 12:55 AM in response to Mal-S

In my case, right click only give me the ability to remove the item from the album (same as pressing delete key.) The item disappear from the album but remain in the library, therefore the Recently Deleted dustbin does not show up. Command Delete key press put the item(s) in the Recently Deleted location then the item(s) can be selected and deleted to clear up space on the drive. Thank you Mal-S for the helpful link.

I need to move items (photos, videos) to trash then emty the trash, dragging them to trash does not seem to work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.