Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uploading Library.photoslibrary to iCloud

I have two questions regarding Photos on OSX.

1 - The size of Library.photoslibrary is 91 GB - I have been trying to copy / backup the file into an iCloud folder, but after it copied across (10 seconds or so), there was an error symbol next to the copied file. It's the iCloud logo with a diagonal line going through it. I was hoping to see the upload progression circle next to the iCloud logo in the sidebar, but it didn't happen so am presuming a simple drag & drop (holding down the option key) doesn't work.

Please can you let me know the best way to place a copy on iCloud.

I have a 2 TB storage plan and have only used 500 GB, and therefore have plenty of available storage space.

2 - The reason for doing the aforementioned was due to hard drive space becoming too low on my MacBook (10 GB), and have been looking for ways to alleviate the problem. So, I don't know why it was turned off, but I have since turned on Optimise Mac Storage. After a few minutes, my HD space jumped up to 90 GB. Great!

That solved that for issue for now, but what I am also painstakingly doing is uploading all of my videos from the Photos Library into a Shared Album because I was under the impression that once they are there I would be able to delete them locally so to save space on my Mac's HD, but I can see after doing that for 200 videos my MacBook's HD space is dropping fast.

I have looked online for quite some time tonight, and people are saying that moving photos and videos into Shared Albums and then deleting them from the main Photos library would free up local Mac HD space, but I beg to differ.

Yes, I understand I will see "device-sized" versions, but I cannot understand why my HD space is dropping every time I upload a video and, once it is safely on all of my devices, I delete it locally.

Please can you let me know what actually happens because numerous Apple pages I have been reading don't mention storage space on a Mac's HD.

Thank you

OMG - After writing this, it is now down to 16 GB. Please help!

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 4:08 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 16, 2022 4:54 PM in response to inknpaper

Sorry, you are asking "about attempting to upload the Photos Library.photoslibrary to iCloud" and that is not something I have ever seen Apple recommend and is not something I have ever tried.

The way that Photos are synced with iCloud is by turning on iCloud Photos, not by uploading the photos library file to iCloud.

See the information in See instructions in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Oct 16, 2022 6:19 PM in response to inknpaper

A networked location (such as iCloud) is not a compatible location for a photos library - you simply cannot store it there:

See:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

You can't store your library on a storage device used for Time Machine
backups. And to avoid possible data loss, don't store your library on a
removable storage device like an SD card or USB flash drive, or on a
device shared over your network or the internet, including over a cloud-based storage service.

Regarding shared albums;

1 - don't do this, they don't store full quality images or videos. If you delete the originals you'll be left with only poor quality versions.

2 - Shared albums (like all iCloud storage) are mirrored also on your hard drive - so actually take up space as well.

As others have pointed out - sync your library with iCloud and enable "optimise storage" or move the library to an external drive as described in the link above. These are the only ways to save space on your system drive.

Oct 16, 2022 4:34 PM in response to FoxFifth

I have obviously already done that (I have been syncing across devices for many years - I have been a Mac user for almost 30 years, but I still get confused!) because I did mention that I had turned on Optimise Mac Storage - See #2

I still want to have a backup of Library.photoslibrary in iCloud regardless of why Shared Albums takes up local HD space. I thought it wasn't supposed to? Did you read my entire message?

Thanks

Oct 16, 2022 4:37 PM in response to inknpaper

Not obvious to me. There is an Optimize Mac Storage for iCloud Drive in System Preferences; there is also an Optimize Mac Storage for iCloud Photos in Photos Preferences. This are two different things and can be turned on/of independently.

Also, in your item #1 you stated:

"The size of Library.photoslibrary is 91 GB - I have been trying to copy / backup the file into an iCloud folder, "

That is nothing to do with setting up iCloud Photos as I recommended.

Oct 16, 2022 4:46 PM in response to FoxFifth

Why would I mention System Preferences? I am talking about attempting to upload the Photos Library.photoslibrary to iCloud. Please explain how that can be done. Why would that have anything to do with System Preferences? And btw, yes it is turned on. So what? So again, how can I copy Photos Library.photoslibrary to iCloud? I'm so sorry if you didn't understand that simple question.

And also please answer my second question. Why does my OSX HD space drop when items have been added to a Shared Album and then deleted locally?

Thank you

Oct 16, 2022 5:01 PM in response to FoxFifth

I know, I already understand how Photo syncing works. Thank you.

1 - Well, it's possible to copy Photos Library.photoslibrary to an external drive, so why not iCloud? I should be able to upload anything I want. Why should a filetype matter? I don't think it does... or should. I have 2 TB, and wish to place anything I want there. How do I do it? If you don't know, just say so, and maybe someone else can jump in.

2 - Again, WHY is my MacBook Air M1's hard drive dropping in size after I have loaded items to a Shared Album and then deleted them locally. How many times do I have to ask this question? Perhaps you have been instructed not to answer it?

Uploading Library.photoslibrary to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.