Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen sharing icon will not stay in menu bar

Previously, just before updating MacOS (I seem to have Big Sur 11.5.2 at the moment), the screen sharing icon was always visible on my menu bar, readily available for me to begin sharing via one of my several Apple TV devices. After an automatic update just recently, the screen sharing icon is no longer appearing on the menu bar unless I begin sharing first. I can access sharing via the Control Center icon, but this is an extra step. After I end sharing, the screen sharing icon disappears again. I have the "show mirroring options in menu bar when available" box checked under Display Preferences.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 6:50 AM

Hello Hulvey,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you can't find the Screen Mirroring option in the menu bar within Big Sur. We'll do our best to assist.

We'd recommend opening up System Preferences > Dock & Menu Bar > Select 'Screen Mirroring' on the left side bar > Show in Menu Bar should be checked. Then select the drop down option to show 'Always' and it will show up in the menu bar.

This also may assist: Use your TV as a display with Mac

Hoping that helps out, take care!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2021 6:50 AM in response to Hulvey

Hello Hulvey,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you can't find the Screen Mirroring option in the menu bar within Big Sur. We'll do our best to assist.

We'd recommend opening up System Preferences > Dock & Menu Bar > Select 'Screen Mirroring' on the left side bar > Show in Menu Bar should be checked. Then select the drop down option to show 'Always' and it will show up in the menu bar.

This also may assist: Use your TV as a display with Mac

Hoping that helps out, take care!

Screen sharing icon will not stay in menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.