Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos don't appear when trying to Change Desktop Background

I'm on the M1 MacBook Air with the latest version of Big Sur. I am trying to access my photos in my photos app to set as my desktop wallpaper, however when I try to access the subfolder under the window as shown in picture above, my photos aren't visible. Can anyone help me out please?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 9:38 PM

harith_zaini Said:

"Photos don't appear when trying to Change Desktop Background: yess I finally managed to locate it, thank you so much! But why is the folder there though?"

-------

You are Welcome.

About "Folders":

If you mean "Folders" it is for adding folders of your own that contain images. Note that Pictures is there by default. The top one cannot be deleted. The second one is a different folder named Folder. As for determining which it is, there is no way to do so.

1. Go Here: Change the desktop picture (background) on your Mac
  2. Scroll to: Add a folder of your own images
  3. As it Reads: To add a folder of your own images, click the add button (+) below the list of folders, then choose the folder that contains your images.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2021 9:38 PM in response to harith_zaini

harith_zaini Said:

"Photos don't appear when trying to Change Desktop Background: yess I finally managed to locate it, thank you so much! But why is the folder there though?"

-------

You are Welcome.

About "Folders":

If you mean "Folders" it is for adding folders of your own that contain images. Note that Pictures is there by default. The top one cannot be deleted. The second one is a different folder named Folder. As for determining which it is, there is no way to do so.

1. Go Here: Change the desktop picture (background) on your Mac
  2. Scroll to: Add a folder of your own images
  3. As it Reads: To add a folder of your own images, click the add button (+) below the list of folders, then choose the folder that contains your images.

Sep 9, 2021 9:07 PM in response to harith_zaini

harith_zaini Said:

"Photos don't appear when trying to Change Desktop Background: I'm on the M1 MacBook Air with the latest version of Big Sur. I am trying to access my photos in my photos app to set as my desktop wallpaper, however when I try to access the subfolder under the window as shown in picture above, my photos aren't visible. Can anyone help me out please?"

-------

Use Photos Menu:

You need to click on Photos on the left, not Folders. Once Clicked, browse your photos and Albums

Sep 9, 2021 10:28 PM in response to harith_zaini

Thanks..

You can also use AirDrop and iPhone, to share images between Mac & iOS Devices.

Also to copy documents; IDs, etc.

Here's another discussion with a result that I've only used a few dozen times..

Q: i have a macbook air and i can not see airdrop option ,, what to do ? - Apple Community

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253127127

PS: a good image editor for older macOS / OS X goes by name ToyViewer

for great manual image re-creations; has more tools than I've used. Almost

like film ; which I like, as I'd grown up with film cameras & photo darkrooms.

Download@Mac App Store

http://mac.majorgeeks.com/mg/get/toyviewer,1.html

version 5.4.0 (for older macOS 10.8+)

A newer version:

ToyViewer on the Mac App Store

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/toyviewer/id414298354?mt=12

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=ToyViewer+image+editor+Mac&ia=web

Sep 9, 2021 9:37 PM in response to harith_zaini

Depending on how you wish to edit and/or present images as desktop screens,

there are options to consider. Perhaps you should save aside those you've edited

in a new folder(s) and give each folder a unique name.

Here's screenshot of similar image (but older El Capitan OS X) I do not use Photos, nor

had I use of iPhoto; that would've imported to newer Photos. iPhotos folder, there,

also has nothing is inside. (I edit images separately; for use with other applications;

and have two digital cameras, and lesser one, in an iPhone.)

And the point as presented by the Littles is a fair one at this step. You've used Photos.

The other unused choices also need exploring to adequately make use of them, too.

Photos don't appear when trying to Change Desktop Background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.