Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX: Delete "copied to library" files, relink to External SSD ("leave in place")

Odd I couldn't find a solution to this online but maybe I don't have the right terminology:

I have been editing a very large project as "leave in place". I had to reset my preferences last week but I didn't see that this week every new import has "copy to library". The library file has ballooned to 100gb.

I want to delete the files copied to the library and then relink to the original files on the External SSD. Is there a safe way to do so?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 1:32 AM

First, make sure that in fact the original files are available before you do anything.

To see whether a clip is stored in the library or linking to an external file, select it and choose Reveal in Finder.

See if it takes you to the Original Media folder inside your library, or to an external location.

Just to be safe, I suggest you test with just one clip. Drag the clip from the Original media to the trash (don't empty it just yet).

In FCP, the clip will become offline.

Relink to the external location.

All should be fine. Do the same for the others. You can do so in bulk.

Once you are satisfied that all is well, you can empty the trash.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2021 1:32 AM in response to LilCreature

First, make sure that in fact the original files are available before you do anything.

To see whether a clip is stored in the library or linking to an external file, select it and choose Reveal in Finder.

See if it takes you to the Original Media folder inside your library, or to an external location.

Just to be safe, I suggest you test with just one clip. Drag the clip from the Original media to the trash (don't empty it just yet).

In FCP, the clip will become offline.

Relink to the external location.

All should be fine. Do the same for the others. You can do so in bulk.

Once you are satisfied that all is well, you can empty the trash.

FCPX: Delete "copied to library" files, relink to External SSD ("leave in place")

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.