Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer is beeping on start up

My computer was turned on when my sons ball accidentally rolled over the switch on the floor and turned it off. I then turned the switch back on and powered on the iMac and I am only getting a black screen and a beeping sound. Beep - 5 seconds - beep - 5 seconds... and it continues like this.

is this a RAM issue or firmware issue? Help!!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 10:17 AM

Your Mac is trying to tell you there's some problem.

If your Mac beeps during startup - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202768

2 replies

Sep 10, 2021 10:36 AM in response to Sammie

Open the RAM door at the back of the iMac and make sure all modules are firmly seated in their slots. Then reboot and see if there's any difference?

Did you add any additional RAM modules to your iMac? If so what brand and where did you get them? If the reseating doesn't help and you did add 3rd party modules you might take out the 3rd party modules and see if it will boot up with just the original Apple modules.

Macs are extremely sensitive to the quality of RAM modules and not all modules are equal in quality even if they meet specs. If you find that the 3rd party modules are the culprit you can replace them with modules from either Crucial.com or OWC (MacSales.com). If you have a 2020 27" iMac then only get the modules from Crucial.com.

My computer is beeping on start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.