Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New M1 iMac switches from ethernet to wifi

Wondering if anyone else is having this issue:

I have a new M1 iMac. It is hooked up to ethernet and I also have the wi-fi on. I have set the service order so ethernet comes first in the list but ... the Mac keeps switching to wi-fi instead. (Discovered this while doing a speed test.)

Never had this problem with my old iMac. Even with the ethernet connected and the wi-fi on it always picked the ethernet (the faster connection) to get online.

I'm on OS 11.5.1.

Anyone have any ideas on this? For now, I'm leaving wi-fi off unless I need it for AirDrop or to access my printer.

Thank you for your help!

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 4:31 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Sep 10, 2021 9:12 PM in response to cdmilton

The original post link is here:

https://support.apple.com/en-hk/guide/mac-help/mh11939/mac

1. In many cases, you’ll automatically connect to the internet. If not, complete the following steps to enter your network settings. If you aren’t sure what to enter, check with your network administrator or ISP.
  2. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Network.
  3. Select Ethernet in the list on the left.
  4. Click the Configure IPv4 pop-up menu, then choose your ISP’s recommended configuration method.
    • Using DHCP: Choose this if you receive an IP address automatically from your ISP.
    • Using DHCP with manual address: Choose this if you received a specific IP address and your ISP uses DHCP or other network settings.
    • Using BootP: Choose this if your ISP uses BootP.
    • Manually: Choose this if you received a specific IP address, a subnet mask and a router address from your ISP.
  1. Click Advanced, click DNS, click the Add button  below DNS Servers, then enter the IP address of your ISP’s DNS server.
  2. If your ISP gave you to search domain addresses, enter them as well. These may not be needed if you configure your IP settings to use DHCP.
  3. If you were given other settings from your service providers, such as IPv6, a proxy server or additional Ethernet settings, click Advanced to enter them.
  4. Click OK to make the settings active for the Ethernet service.

Sep 10, 2021 9:16 PM in response to hcsitas

I believe you are right! I have been using Comcast's browser-based speed test. When I use Google's test, I get the fast ethernet speeds. Downloaded Ookla for the desktop and it is also giving me the fast ethernet speed even when wi-fi is on.

Very strange that Comcast's test shows a slower speed. Must have something to do with the way it connects to the internet.

Problem solved ... I think! Thank you everyone!

New M1 iMac switches from ethernet to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.