Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I determine if my Mac is using Ethernet or Wi-Fi to connect to the internet?

I have my MacBook Pro (2021 M1 14") connected via Thunderbolt to a Dock, which is connected to my home network via ethernet. I also have my MacBook Pro on the network via Wi-Fi so I can print and exchange files, etc.

How do I determine which is being used to connect to the internet? I'd prefer it used the Ethernet port for that.

I thought that, in the Network Preference Pane, whichever network connection is at the top of the list is the internet connection, though I may be mis-remembering this. Currently, it shows Wi-Fi at the top then the Thunderbolt/Ethernet connection. (see screenshot)

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 12:48 PM

The order from top to bottom is supposed to be the order in which the connection is attempted to be made. The Mac with first try the one ot the top and if unsuccessful it will go down the list until it connects.

You can also use location option to change the order easily. See:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202480

Just not that if connected via ethernet location services do not work and you will have to click on wifi to get current location.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2022 12:48 PM in response to coreworksnet

The order from top to bottom is supposed to be the order in which the connection is attempted to be made. The Mac with first try the one ot the top and if unsuccessful it will go down the list until it connects.

You can also use location option to change the order easily. See:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202480

Just not that if connected via ethernet location services do not work and you will have to click on wifi to get current location.

How do I determine if my Mac is using Ethernet or Wi-Fi to connect to the internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.