MBP will not automatically switch to ethernet from wifi

2019 MBP

Sonoma 14.1.1

Deco Mesh router hardwired backhaul (if this matters)

Using OWC thunderbolt 3 dock with ethernet plugged into it

Use case:

1. I have my MBP unplugged from dock and using wifi
  2. I plug the thunderbolt cable into left rear TB port on MBP
  3. I expect the MBP to eventually start using ethernet, but it continues to use wifi (according to my router software).
  4. I turn off the wifi on the MBP, and after a few seconds it starts using ethernet, as expected.

Notes:

1. ethernet is significantly faster. That is: while using zoom and switching wifi on/off the deco software indicates I use a lot more bandwidth over ethernet, the video and audio quality improve, and the connected bluetooth devices (magic touchpad and keyboard) stop lagging (a common issue for MBP using bluetooth and wifi at the same time, apparently)
  2. The thunderbolt port is/has always been at top of the list under settings>network.

Not sure how to "encourage" the MBP to switch to ethernet without turning off wifi after connecting the thunderbolt cable.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 11:30 AM

if Zoom software does not accommodate "live" switching from WiFi to Ethernet, there is nothing Users here can do for you. You would need to take that up with the software-maker.

[in my opinion] it is expected behavior that once a connection is established, software will generally try to stay with that connection, and not switch other options.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2023 11:30 AM in response to snugglezz

if Zoom software does not accommodate "live" switching from WiFi to Ethernet, there is nothing Users here can do for you. You would need to take that up with the software-maker.

[in my opinion] it is expected behavior that once a connection is established, software will generally try to stay with that connection, and not switch other options.

Nov 28, 2023 7:03 AM in response to snugglezz

Make sure Ethernet is at the top of the list in your network settings. The network connection at the top of the list takes priority and will connect if available. If the network connection at the top of the list is not available the next in the list will be used. So if your WiFi is at the top of the list it will always default to WiFi is available.

Nov 28, 2023 8:04 AM in response to snugglezz

BobTheFisherman is exactly right.

In addition, there is an option available under the list of interfaces.

Use the "gear" icon (becoming more and more stylized as time goes on) to select "Set Service Order", then DRAG the preferred interface to the top of the list.

Note that you will not need to do this again, because your Mac connects to the Internet using the TOPMOST, Working interface, and if the Ethernet is not working it gets skipped.

Nov 28, 2023 11:23 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I actually already had that set.

One note: I -think- this issue is actually only happening when I am running zoom. I tested earlier while in a zoom meeting on wifi and plugging in the ethernet connection did not start being used until I turned off wifi.

Just now I unplugged and streamed a youtube video. In the middle I plugged in the ethernet and it -did- switch over.

Just to emphasize: I did not change anything about my network today. I'm going to run some tests but I wonder if the issue is that with zoom there is some kind of persistent connection (ie not http rest calls but some kind of socket) that resists switching to a new channel... Anyways, I appreciate your suggestion, though in this case it hasn't resolved the issue I have narrowed my issue to zoom. I guess I can live with that. :)

MBP will not automatically switch to ethernet from wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.