Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't start itunes on windows

Win 10 refuses to start iTunes. Secured location, privilege problems or no write/read.

Tried install from MS Store and from Apple Download. Changing install drive does not work. Any advise? It used to run on this machine.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 9:12 AM

Hello Eric,

thank you for the support. The error message is that iTunes could not start as it is on a protected volume/enviroment or has no write permission. Restarting PC, Antivirus etc. or install from website or MS Store didn't work out.

A new account solved the issue for me. Looks like during the years the system corrupted somehow and Windows needs a fresh user. Should have tested a new account earlier tbh.

I'll migrate to a new user setup. Who knows what else corrupted.

Best wishes and you take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2021 9:12 AM in response to Eric_G1

Hello Eric,

thank you for the support. The error message is that iTunes could not start as it is on a protected volume/enviroment or has no write permission. Restarting PC, Antivirus etc. or install from website or MS Store didn't work out.

A new account solved the issue for me. Looks like during the years the system corrupted somehow and Windows needs a fresh user. Should have tested a new account earlier tbh.

I'll migrate to a new user setup. Who knows what else corrupted.

Best wishes and you take care.

Sep 12, 2021 7:48 AM in response to dugiedugie

Hello dugiedugie,

We see you're having some issues getting iTunes to launch on your Windows PC, and we'd be happy to help work on that with you.

Are you receiving any error messages when trying to launch iTunes? Also, if possible, are you able to launch iTunes in a second Admin user account on the PC? That step would help to see if it may be system-wide or isolated to the user account.

If you're utilizing any antivirus software or other security software, try temporarily uninstalling it.

Sometimes a quick restart of the PC may help as well, if you haven't tried that yet.

You may also try holding down Control+Shift as you launch iTunes to see if that helps.

Take care.

can't start itunes on windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.