Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image transfer from Android Phone to iMac fails

There are two apps which provide a transfer function between a device (Android) and an iMac. Neither of them are working consistently.

The Image Capture app does absolutely nothing - devices zero and the Android app opens a dialog box which says no devices found. What is the reason for this? Sometimes it works fine, but not often. Usually you just open Image Capture, plug in the Android USB and tell it what you want to do (Transfer images) and the software works.

For such a basic function that gets used by practically everyone that owns an Apple of some sort this process should be simple to use, but I nearly always have this problem.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 5:14 AM

When you connect your Android Phone to the Mac via a compatible USB cable, does the Android operating system float a notification about using your phone as a mass storage device? If it does, select that and then the Android phone will appear to macOS as if you inserted a thumb drive, from which you can navigate to your images. I don't believe Apple's Image Capture was designed to recognize anything but iOS devices.

If you attempt to pair your Android phone to your Mac via Bluetooth, and it will let you pair, then there is the BlueTooth File Exchange (/Application/Utilities folder) application that will allow you to potentially transfer content between your Android phone and the macOS. Failing that, then a current version of Google's Android transfer application for Mac may be necessary.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2021 5:14 AM in response to DavJam

When you connect your Android Phone to the Mac via a compatible USB cable, does the Android operating system float a notification about using your phone as a mass storage device? If it does, select that and then the Android phone will appear to macOS as if you inserted a thumb drive, from which you can navigate to your images. I don't believe Apple's Image Capture was designed to recognize anything but iOS devices.

If you attempt to pair your Android phone to your Mac via Bluetooth, and it will let you pair, then there is the BlueTooth File Exchange (/Application/Utilities folder) application that will allow you to potentially transfer content between your Android phone and the macOS. Failing that, then a current version of Google's Android transfer application for Mac may be necessary.

Sep 12, 2021 6:32 AM in response to VikingOSX

After extensive testing with both another Android phone (Huawei P smart 2020) and another computer (MacBook Pro) I have reached the opinion that there is a problem with the OPPO A53 phone. It is either in the preferences setup or perhaps the cable. The cable has a standard USB connector on one end and what looks like an Apple fire on the other. This shouldn't make any difference!?

The puzzling thing is that I have transferred files many times before with the same gear and only occassionally get this problem.

The Android Transfer app is up to date. Bluetooth connection failed - although the iMac did sense the bluetooth device it didn't connect.

I'm off to the phone shop tomorrow to see if they can solve this.

Thanks - I may be back!

Sep 19, 2021 8:31 AM in response to BDAqua

I was told by the phone shop that the cable supplied with the Oppo A53 phone is power only. So I bought a cable that does power and data. No difference. I have spent an entire weekend trying all the different versions - USB, pairing, Bluetooth, etc,etc. And no results.

I finally found one method - using “Photos”. This program imports from the phone (using the expensive data cable) but when I try to export from Photos it corrupts some images (not all) and changes the date taken on all images. This surely is a bug! I have reported it as such.

so I’m still without a method of transfer short of using a PC!

Image transfer from Android Phone to iMac fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.