Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon vs ATT iphone

I'm planning to buy the latest iphone model, but in the near future, I'm planning to switch from ATT to Verizon. Should I buy the verizon model or the ATT model? Will either model work with the other carrier? Are there any limitations with using a verizon model on ATT network or using a ATT model on verizon network?

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 10:40 AM

No, you have to meet the carriers requirements to get the phone unlocked.

This usually means the phone was on their network for a year, your account is in good standing.

See this:

How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

5 replies

Sep 12, 2021 9:25 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Hey, thanks for the reply. I thought the carrier lock thing is a thing of the past, i thought it only happens when in the past, the carrier subsidized a part of the iphone cost and we had to stick with that carrier for a period time before they allow us to unlock the device. Anyway, my question was more on the radio itself. I checked in mac tracker and looks like it's the same model that they sell in the US (which is carrier independent), and the reference to the carrier in the buying process is just which carrier they'll activate the phone on. I think i got my answer, but again, thanks for replying!

Sep 12, 2021 9:31 AM in response to youhong099

No, carrier lock in is still a thing .

If you buy a carrier specific device or a sim free phone(locks to first carrier used).

it is locked to a carrier.

Unlocked phone can be used on any carrier and switched over freely.

Radio frequency available on the device is dependant on the region/country the phone is intended for use in, not the carriers.

Verizon vs ATT iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.