Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected shut down of Apple MBA 2015 [Solved]

My MacBook Air 2015 kept shutting off unexpectedly when unplugged. In fact, it would continue to work as long as it is plugged; even shows that it is charging in the Power settings; but the charge would not go up despite how long it is connected. To make matters worse, the device would shut down within seconds of unplugged from the Magsafe charger. I have found a way to resolved it as the problem was in the hardware I am using - it may not be relevant to you; but some will benefit as I found no reliable solution to this problem - read below.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 12:31 PM

Before doing what I actually needed to do to fix this problem, I had tried all the soft ways of fixing:

1. Checking logs and Diagnostics / uninstalling applications
  2. Disk Utility -> first aid and disc repair
  3. SMC and PRAM reset.
  4. "Clean install" of Big Sur

Nothing worked!

Now, I had made a small adjustment to my MBA 4-5 months ago. I had replaced the NVME storage with a Samsung 980 SSD 500 GB.

I replaced the Samsung SSD with the Original Apple SSD 128 GB and the issue disappeared. I am assuming that the SSD adapter was giving some issues due to which the MacBook would shut down unexpectedly - as in maybe it could not locate essential files to stay awake. But whatever the reason, this small change fixed it.

Moral of the story: Please don't try to put other companies' hardware inside Apple products. Apple doesn't like that!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2021 12:31 PM in response to akashdeep100

Before doing what I actually needed to do to fix this problem, I had tried all the soft ways of fixing:

1. Checking logs and Diagnostics / uninstalling applications
  2. Disk Utility -> first aid and disc repair
  3. SMC and PRAM reset.
  4. "Clean install" of Big Sur

Nothing worked!

Now, I had made a small adjustment to my MBA 4-5 months ago. I had replaced the NVME storage with a Samsung 980 SSD 500 GB.

I replaced the Samsung SSD with the Original Apple SSD 128 GB and the issue disappeared. I am assuming that the SSD adapter was giving some issues due to which the MacBook would shut down unexpectedly - as in maybe it could not locate essential files to stay awake. But whatever the reason, this small change fixed it.

Moral of the story: Please don't try to put other companies' hardware inside Apple products. Apple doesn't like that!

Unexpected shut down of Apple MBA 2015 [Solved]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.