Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash will not empty

I have some really old files, apparently once used by the system. In the trash, but will not delete.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 3:24 PM

9 replies

Sep 15, 2021 11:59 AM in response to Ratz227

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and try to empty the Trash bin from there. Then reboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Sep 13, 2021 4:44 PM in response to Ratz227

as long as you're 100% sure the files are not needed, i think i would try temporarily disabling SIP. boot into recovery by holding "command+R". once there open terminal by clicking on "utilities" in the menubar and choosing "terminal". then paste in "csrutil disable" without the quotes. enter your admin password when prompted. then restart the mac and try deleting the files. wether or not it works, make sure to re-enable SIP. boot into recovery again, reopen terminal and paste in "csrutil enable" without the quotes. enter your admin password when prompted and again restart the mac normally. 

Trash will not empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.