Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone will not backup, has not backed up ever.

My Iphone 12 will not back up. I have managed all of my settings and it says I'm only using 5 GB of the 50 GB (updated storage plan). However it says I haven't enough space. Very frustrated.

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 4:46 PM

5 replies

Sep 14, 2021 10:58 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Ok, I think I finally see the problem. "My Photo Stream" is still clicked on in iCloud settings. When I go to click that off I get the message that the Photo Stream photos will be deleted from my phone. Is there anyway to keep the photos on my phone but not have them backed up to the cloud? i.e. to turn off the backup without physically deleting all of those photos?

Sep 14, 2021 11:14 AM in response to ShartTheWise

The purpose of Photo Stream is to transfer the photos to your computer, so they should be on your computer. If you have photos on your phone there are two options. You can sync them to iCloud (Settings/[your name]/iCloud/Photos), which will replicate them in iCloud but not include them in a backup. Which won’t solve your problem, because they will take up the same space they would have in the iCloud backup. You can also copy them to your computer and delete them from your phone.

Another option is to sync them to a 3rd party archiving service; Google Photos, Dropbox, Shutterfly, etc and delete them from your phone. You can still view them with the archive service’s app.

Or you can buy more iCloud storage.

Iphone will not backup, has not backed up ever.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.