Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hovering mouse over music file no longer plays the file

It used to be that I could just hover my mouse pointer over the music file and it would change the icon to a multimedia control. You could then play the file without having to open it. That functionality seems to have stopped working after the last update. This still works for PDF files but not music files.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 10:06 AM

I download those files again and now it works. Apparently something changed during the upgrade to Big Sur. So the problem as far as I can tell was possible corrupted files. Moving the originals to the trash and downloading again worked.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2021 10:06 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I download those files again and now it works. Apparently something changed during the upgrade to Big Sur. So the problem as far as I can tell was possible corrupted files. Moving the originals to the trash and downloading again worked.

Sep 14, 2021 1:39 PM in response to Community User

Hello Steve67_,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! It looks like you haven't received an answer to your question. If you are able to provide additional information, then perhaps someone will be able to assist you. Some questions that might be helpful to answer are:

• Where were you able to see these controls change, in the Finder or somewhere else?
  • You mention this changing after an update, which exact macOS version is installed?
  • Is this happening with all music files, or only some?

The more details you can provide the better.

Take care.

Sep 17, 2021 6:37 PM in response to TammyW_03

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I created a test account but it doesn't work there either. The closest you can get to that functionality is by opening the file with quicklook. Before, hovering your mouse pointer over the file would change the icon to an icon with a play button on it.

I'm thinking this feature must have been dropped with the latest update

Hovering mouse over music file no longer plays the file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.