Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

strange volume named Update in finder under locations

Hi guys,

I recently noticed that there is a volume mounted that I cannot unmount named Update. I do not have anything attached (USB drives nor SD cards)

My machine is running MacOS Big Sur 11.5.2

Any idea what is it and why is showing up in Finder and how can I remove it?

Thank you for your help.

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 9:24 AM

JohnMoooore wrote:

Hi guys,
I recently noticed that there is a volume mounted that I cannot unmount named Update. I do not have anything attached (USB drives nor SD cards)

Thank you for your help.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/f77ae38d-0893-42c7-9524-20ff1fa442bc

Try Control click on it—

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2021 9:24 AM in response to JohnMoooore

JohnMoooore wrote:

Hi guys,

Thank you for your help.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/f77ae38d-0893-42c7-9524-20ff1fa442bc

Try Control click on it—

Sep 14, 2021 12:47 PM in response to JohnMoooore

JohnMoooore wrote:

Can you explain more what is its purpose?

Starting with macOS Catalina runs on a dedicated, read-only system volume called Macintosh HD. This volume is completely separate from all other data to help prevent the accidental overwriting of critical operating system files. Your files and data are stored in another volume named Macintosh HD - Data.

macOS Big Sur has went one step further— an uses a “snapshot” of the current system for its (SSV) Signed System Volume, as you see in the list. This is the new normal as well. This would be the 'Macintosh HD'

In the Finder, both volumes should appear as Macintosh HD.

I can not explain the anomaly in your Finder side bar, unless you reinstalled or restored at some point...

however I do not see it as an issue. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

strange volume named Update in finder under locations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.