Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How often does MacOS check for updates? Of you have installera updates automatically, when does the Mac do this? All the time in the background? Nice you accept hem?

How often does MacOS check for updates if the automatic setting is on? When does the system install updates if the automatic option is turned on? Will automatic updates include entire upgrades? For example to Big Sur

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 10:50 AM

1. Sorry, I can't give you a number in seconds.

But I have to say a few things.

First, it is a bad idea to have automatic updates and upgrades.

Like Old Toad said, sometimes updates cause issues. It is much safer to do updates in your schedule.

An OS upgrade is a new OS - like from Catalina (10.15) to Big Sur (11).

An OS update is, for example, going from 11.1 to 11.2 or 11.6 - new iterations of the same OS.

It is a very bad idea to let an upgrade happen automatically - especially if you don't have an active backup strategy.

See it this way: next month you might wake up and your Big Sur mac could suddenly be runnning Monterey.

What if you rely on an application that does not have a compatible version? Better to do due diligence and upgrade after you are confident that your needs will be met by the new OS.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2021 10:50 AM in response to AppleTestUser211

1. Sorry, I can't give you a number in seconds.

But I have to say a few things.

First, it is a bad idea to have automatic updates and upgrades.

Like Old Toad said, sometimes updates cause issues. It is much safer to do updates in your schedule.

An OS upgrade is a new OS - like from Catalina (10.15) to Big Sur (11).

An OS update is, for example, going from 11.1 to 11.2 or 11.6 - new iterations of the same OS.

It is a very bad idea to let an upgrade happen automatically - especially if you don't have an active backup strategy.

See it this way: next month you might wake up and your Big Sur mac could suddenly be runnning Monterey.

What if you rely on an application that does not have a compatible version? Better to do due diligence and upgrade after you are confident that your needs will be met by the new OS.

Sep 14, 2021 10:29 AM in response to AppleTestUser211

AppleTestUser211 wrote:

1 - How often does MacOS check for updates if the automatic setting is on?
2 - When does the system install updates if the automatic option is turned on?
3 - Will automatic updates include entire upgrades? For example to Big Sur

1 - continually.

2 - I don't know as I don't use the option. If it have a project going on I don't want any potential interruption due to some possible incompatibility with my apps. I check manually and update when I have nothing else pressing.

3 - no. The automatic system updates and security updates will be incremental.

Sep 14, 2021 10:38 AM in response to AppleTestUser211

The last of your questions - User wrote " Will automatic updates include entire upgrades? For example to Big Sur " that will be 100% dependent on what version of macOS is presently installed and running.

If running Mojave and below - the Upgrade will not be offered on Qualifying computer for Big Sur. One will have to purposely seek out the upgrade to Big Sur

How often does MacOS check for updates? Of you have installera updates automatically, when does the Mac do this? All the time in the background? Nice you accept hem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.