Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad won't connect to MacBook air (keeps flickering in and out of charge)

I need to connect my iPad to my Mac in order to install the new security software fix (my iPad doesn't have enough store to download the software unless, as it says, I connect it to the compute). But when I connect it to the Mac, it flickers in and out of charge every second or so -- beeping as it does so. The iPad charges normally with a wall socket, so it doesn't appear to be a dust or dirt problem with the iPad's charging port. And my USB sockets are working on my MacBook as I can plug in peripherals (e.g., external camera) and they work just fine.

Moreover, I have gotten a message -- when, I guess, the Mac has managed to recognize that the iPad is, however briefly, connected to it -- that my iPad won't connect to the Mac because it needs new software...which I can get by connecting to the Mac...which I can't do.

Any idea what I can do? Thank you!

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 4:55 AM

Your iPad appearing and disappearing when attempting to connect with your Mac is symptomatic of your iPad attempting to negotiate its power needs. Each time the iPad attempts to draw power, the USB connection is interrupted. If you are able, try using a different USB port on your computer - and/or attempt connection via a powered USB hub.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2021 4:55 AM in response to RAL12

Your iPad appearing and disappearing when attempting to connect with your Mac is symptomatic of your iPad attempting to negotiate its power needs. Each time the iPad attempts to draw power, the USB connection is interrupted. If you are able, try using a different USB port on your computer - and/or attempt connection via a powered USB hub.

Sep 15, 2021 4:22 AM in response to RAL12

Be aware that most computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Most models of iPad require at least 12W (i.e., 2.4A @5V) to reliably charge - whereas computer USB ports, unless explicitly designed for charging, are limited to 0.5A @5V (2.5W) or 1.0A @5V (5W).

Before attempting to update or connect to your Mac, ensure that your iPad is fully charged.

When constrained by available free-space, “Offloading” Apps can be a helpful method of creating temporary space for the software update.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/21/how-to-offload-apps-in-ios-to-save-space-without-deleting-their-data/

You should note that for your iPad to install an available update, the iPad battery must be charged to at least 50% capacity - and/or be connected to its Power Adapter.

iPad won't connect to MacBook air (keeps flickering in and out of charge)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.