Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 MacBook Pro Dying Early

Hi,

I bought a macbook pro in 2017 and now the battery seems to be having issues. I saw another forum post saying to open terminal and enter "ioreg -l -w 0 | grep Capacity" and I attached my results below. If someone could tell me whether these results are good cause for a new computer I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.

"AppleRawCurrentCapacity" = 2569

| |      "AppleRawMaxCapacity" = 3750

| |      "MaxCapacity" = 3750

| |      "CurrentCapacity" = 2569

| |      "LegacyBatteryInfo" = {"Amperage"=1517,"Flags"=7,"Capacity"=3750,"Current"=2569,"Voltage"=12669,"Cycle Count"=674}

| |      "BatteryData" = {"LifetimeData"={"TotalOperatingTime"=132311791,"TimeAtHighSoc"=<4b1d000059e6a8019afc0a0000000000>,"UpdateTime"=1631729261},"Serial"="D867273B1NZH06FA3","ChemID"=13926,"Flags"=128,"PassedCharge"=18446744073709550876,"Voltage"=12648,"ResScale"=200,"CycleCount"=674,"StateOfCharge"=69,"Qmax"=(4613,4561,4634),"DesignCapacity"=4790,"SystemPower"=3051,"PMUConfigured"=724,"DOD0"=(7776,7968,7744),"PresentDOD"=(30,31,30),"CellVoltage"=(4216,4227,4227)}

| |      "DesignCapacity" = 4790

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 2:22 PM

If you are running a battery that is already four years old and has 674 Charge cycles accumulated down to the point your computer powers off, it could very well be spent. Battery longevity depends not only on charge cycles, but also time.

Apple suggests "replace now" when your battery provides only about 80 percent of the time it could provide when new.

That computer is a battery-CAPABLE device. It is not optimized as a battery-operated device like an iPhone.

Your computer performs best when connected to AC power. It can use the full output of the Power Adapter AND when doing especially challenging work will also freely "borrow" power from the battery. In some cases, even with the power adapter connected, the charged state may even decline during stressful work.

When used only on battery, your computer has no extra cushion of power, and will perform more slowly. However, for ordinary non-stressful tasks this may not be objectionable (possibly not even noticeable.)

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which will be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. There are three micro-controllers cooperating on battery and charging issues, and your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2021 2:22 PM in response to smerati

If you are running a battery that is already four years old and has 674 Charge cycles accumulated down to the point your computer powers off, it could very well be spent. Battery longevity depends not only on charge cycles, but also time.

Apple suggests "replace now" when your battery provides only about 80 percent of the time it could provide when new.

That computer is a battery-CAPABLE device. It is not optimized as a battery-operated device like an iPhone.

Your computer performs best when connected to AC power. It can use the full output of the Power Adapter AND when doing especially challenging work will also freely "borrow" power from the battery. In some cases, even with the power adapter connected, the charged state may even decline during stressful work.

When used only on battery, your computer has no extra cushion of power, and will perform more slowly. However, for ordinary non-stressful tasks this may not be objectionable (possibly not even noticeable.)

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which will be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. There are three micro-controllers cooperating on battery and charging issues, and your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

2017 MacBook Pro Dying Early

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.