Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What processor do I need for motion graphics design?

I am a motion graphics designer (think After Effects animations and Premiere Pro editing). I am looking up upgrade my 21.5 inch late-2013 iMac. She's been good to me, but she's starting to buckle under the strain of motion graphics editing. I am looking to try and "future proof" a 27-inch iMac but I need help selecting a processor.

If I pick the middle model I can get 3.3GHz 6-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, but I'm given the option to upgrade to 3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor. If I pick the higher end model I can get 3.8GHz 8-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, but can upgrade to 3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor.

I honestly have no idea what any of that means. I understand that the better the processor, the better the performance. I understand that the better processors cost more money. But what processor does a motion graphics designer actually NEED before money's just being spent on diminishing returns?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 10:23 PM

Get the I9 CPU and also the Radeon Pro 5700 with 8GB of RAM as the GPU. If the desk the computer will be on has a window behind it and there may be glare then also get the Nano Texture glass. Buy it with only 8GB of RAM and then order 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DIMMs of either Macsales.com or Crucial.com RAM and install the RAM when the computer arrives. Finally, purchase the largest SSD you can afford and ensure the old Mac has a Time Machine back up that is working. Then when the new machine arrives, please follow the steps in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2021 10:23 PM in response to GrayscaleXLII

Get the I9 CPU and also the Radeon Pro 5700 with 8GB of RAM as the GPU. If the desk the computer will be on has a window behind it and there may be glare then also get the Nano Texture glass. Buy it with only 8GB of RAM and then order 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DIMMs of either Macsales.com or Crucial.com RAM and install the RAM when the computer arrives. Finally, purchase the largest SSD you can afford and ensure the old Mac has a Time Machine back up that is working. Then when the new machine arrives, please follow the steps in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant

What processor do I need for motion graphics design?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.