Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost render files / compound clips after upgrade to Big Sur

Hi all, hoping someone can help please?

Upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur via clean install. Used time machine to migrate user data only during install. All apps newly downloaded so no baggage.

I have FCPX configured so (I think) all associated files generated by FCPX are stored on an external raid drive. On the raid I leave original media in place and have a FCPX Libraries and FCPX Media folder. Each Library is set to Media - In Library, Cache - In Library, Backups - go to a Dropbox folder and Storage Used for Media and Motion Content points to the raid drive.

When opening a library created in the previous OS the projects and original clips are there, and clips can be played individually. However, the clips and compound clips in the timeline show in the browser as a exclamation mark in a yellow triangle on a white rectangular frame on a white rectangular solid ( similar to missing media??). Some clips in the timeline show the preview of the footage, but the compound clips don't, they show the same icon as described earlier. When opening up the compound clips they do show the preview for the footage but it won't play.

On project files that contain music they all seem to show and play the music correctly, just not the footage.

One thing that did occur on upgrade was my Mac HD was split in to Mac HD and Mac HD - Data. I presumed the latter was user generated files and didn't include these in the upgrade - could I be missing something from here (difficult for anyone to say I guess!)? Though I would think that data would be included in the time machine backup?

With the new version of FCPX in Big Sur I have to upgrade the FCPX library which goes fine and on a couple of the libraries had to relink files which worked fine. It just seems that the rendered files are not being linked to or being generated again? I've gone through FCPX and all it's folders comparing to the time machine backup but can't see what I'm missing - does anyone here have any ideas please?

Thanks

Jason

FCPX 10.5.4

OS 11.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory 64GB

Mac Pro, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 5:14 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 16, 2021 5:34 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom, this is the icon.

Yes, just read up on the split with the Data partition.

Just looking again at some projects and the icon does not cover 100% in the viewer, plus I can see on some parts of the sequence where I've used a mask with a lightening curve adjustment it shows this lightening over the icon.

Some projects that no contain no compound clips appear to play OK.

Even more bizarre is I just opened a problematic library and in one of the projects I could see a freeze frame in the viewer (though I couldn't see any of the other clips) but after it did some rendering I could no longer see the freeze frame!?

Sep 16, 2021 5:24 AM in response to j_x_b

Can you post a screenshot of the error Ivón you’re seeing?

The system is made up of two volumes, one that contains the operating system and the core applications, except Safari. The other volume is for user content and user installed applications. Time Machine backs up the data volume only. Backup systems are stored in recovery partitions.

Sep 16, 2021 5:46 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes! It's a Z-Log color plugin that's causing the issue.

Odd, because after loading up FCPX for the first time with an existing project it complained that plugin was missing, so I downloaded the latest version and installed it and thought nothing more of it.

Looking in the installed effetcs it's there, in fact 6 copies of the same thing show - none of which work.

Thank you for your help, I uninstall it / re-install and go from there.

Cheers.

Lost render files / compound clips after upgrade to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.