Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Western Digital will not format to Mac OS Exteneded (journaled)

Hello

Help!

I have a brand new Western Digital 4T external hard drive. I am unable to format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) when I click Erase. Tried several times and received the error message below. I even tried EXFAT, thinking I could change it back to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). But that didn't work either, as I received the same error message.

Please help! It's driving me nuts!

Thank you.

(Using Mavericks 10.9.5)

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 8:37 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 17, 2021 12:48 PM in response to Oudplayer714

Oudplayer714 Said:

"Thank you so much for your reply! Much appreciated!"

-------

You are welcome.

Q1. "Should I do anything else to make sure it's ok before I start using it?"

A1. No. You're set from here. Create your first backup.

Q2. "Any ideas on why my display went back to the default blue and why my extended monitor is black? Can't seem to fix it."

A2. Sites to visit:

Sep 16, 2021 9:21 PM in response to Oudplayer714

Oudplayer714 Said:

"Western Digital will not format to Mac OS Exteneded (journaled)"

-------

Mount the Drive, First:

By the looks of your screenshot, it seems you need to Mount the drive. So, click the "Mount" button (the third item-in from the top-left corner of your screenshot. Once mounted, try once more. If need be, unmount the drive, and then mount it once more. Note that when mounted, the "Unmount" button would be where the "Mount" button is.

Screenshot:

Sep 17, 2021 10:13 AM in response to TheLittles

Hello TheLittles

Thank you so much for your reply! Much appreciated!

After I posted, I kept trying, and somehow I finally got it formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled. I tested the drive by dragging a photo onto it, and dragging it back to my desktop, and it worked fine. Should I do anything else to make sure it's ok before I start using it?

However, very weird things kept happening. I don't exactly remember what order because I didn't write the sequences down, but:

• My computer shut down by itself. Kept pressing the power button, and finally powered back up.
  • Then I lost my display photo. Both my extended displays went back to the default blue. Mirror displays is unchecked. I was able to get back my photo on the retina display, but my extended display is black. Don't know why. Any ideas?
  • A couple of other things happened, but I don't remember because it was getting late, I was sleepy, and my brain was fried! LOL!

Any ideas on why my display went back to the default blue and why my extended monitor is black? Can't seem to fix it.

Thanks!

Western Digital will not format to Mac OS Exteneded (journaled)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.