Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

12 Pro Max Focus issue - Question

Trying to post without getting deleted here again…. I’m not sure how else to proceed here with a top of the line phone that can’t focus on anything like all previous models could… Is there a software work around or maybe an update that will at least assist with this apparent lens hardware limitation that this phone was designed with? I have been at this the entire year. For all those with IPhone 12 Pro Max.. have you had any luck with Apple helping to correct or compensate for the Focusing Issue that their Engineers deem “expected behavior”? (i.e. swapping for the new model that apparently has been updated to allow auto focusing).

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 7:55 AM

5 replies

Sep 17, 2021 9:26 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Weird. Yours can focus on a bar code or words or anything small that you need details from any closer than maybe 8 or 9 inches away? It doesn’t just focus on the background instead of the object? Both of the 2 My wife and I have had and the demo one in the store and our friends can’t focus like any of the other 12 models or ANY previous models we have owned. I.E. I tried to scan my credit card details on the apple site so they could put a hold on my card for the amount of 2 replacement phones that they were sending to replace ours (no difference btw) and I tried for over a minute and it wouldn’t focus in order to use the info off the card… (and when in apps or something like above credit card in browser), manually switching lenses/zoom isn’t available so you can’t do anything and can’t move further back or the card or QR etc won’t be in the designated area…..yet my iPad mini 3 scanned instantly. Why can’t the software (at least in the native camera) adjust focus/lens selection so it can focus as needed on something. The best not real solution but semi helpful I found is switching manually to wide angle and then up to .9… but again this can’t and shouldn’t have to be done manually every time I’m taking a picture of something that isn’t far away… There have been many many posts here and elsewhere on this. Maybe you just don’t take pictures of things close where you need details, don’t know.

Sep 17, 2021 9:35 AM in response to JeremyLothar

The 12 Pro Max doesn't offer Macro capabilities. It was, in my opinion an unfortunate omission. The new iPhone 13 Pro Max will offer Macro capabilities.

To compensate, I take the photos a little further away, ensuring they are completely in focus, then zoom in to get the Macro-Effect I'm seeking.

I do agree the lack of Macro photography is lacking on iPhone 12 Pro Max. Otherwise, the cameras are stellar in every other regard. And since I'm getting the 13 Pro Max, I'll have the best of all worlds.

Sep 17, 2021 10:41 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I think “Macro” photography is more than what the 12 pro max can’t do… it’s just focusing at a normal close distance on an something like every other iPhone model has been able to do that I have ever seen… I’m not talking about focusing on hairs of a bug…. Did every other iPhone before this one have what is considered Macro capabilities already? Wouldn’t the expectation be that the top of the line’s camera with 3 lenses could do what my X, 8+, 6 and I’m pretty sure my 4 that I let my kid play with can do without issue? The move further away is not an option all the time as described above for using card or bar code scanners, or if you are in a tight space like behind server racks and you are needing to take a picture of a serial or MAC address of equipment and also even if it is possible to move back further digitally zooming degrades the image and requires editing to zoom back in. The zoom lens doesn’t actually take over when pressed when taking a close shot of something, it just digitally zooms the regular lens (cover the zoom lens to see for your self, no change).

12 Pro Max Focus issue - Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.