iPhone 14 pro camera keeps losing focus

My iPhone 12 Pro camera was great. I upgraded to 14 pro just to keep up with better cameras and boy what a disappointment. Apple, please fix this! This is my first new Apple device where I feel like I am back on buggy android space, it’s embarrassing!

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 6:46 PM

The iphone14 pro is almost useless to video with. The camera loses focus every 10-30 secs especially when zooming in and out. This is absolutely terrible and Apple needs to fix this asap or buy back my phone.

23 replies

Oct 14, 2022 5:39 AM in response to SravanKrA

No, that’s not what I meant. I have been buying new Apple devices for a decade. Not just iPhones. And they have always been top notch. iPhone 14 pro camera is the worst I’ve seen in any new iPhone I have had. And that’s the main reason I upgrade each year.

It’s unbelievable that Apple released this iPhone with such camera problems. Everyone is complaining about how fuzzy the camera looks, it won’t focus close up, or far. And loses focus in the middle of videos. It’s very very bad.

For the world out there who is looking to upgrade: Don’t upgrade to iPhone 14 Pro without testing it. You’ll see the issue in 15 seconds of testing the camera at a store….

Apple please push a fix asap. My memories of my kids are in frustrating fuzzy videos until then. Sigh.

Dec 24, 2022 7:29 AM in response to aran145

1000% agree. I travel full-time + only use my iPhone to document EVERYTHING! This camera situation is the WORST. The amount of videos I need to reshoot is embarrassing. And, it's the worst when it does it right in the middle of a shot that can't be replicated. I have no idea what to do. I don't want to lug around a traditional camera or DSLR.

This hasn't only happened with the iPhone 14 Pro either. My iPhone 13 Pro did it as well. But, the 14 is ever WORSE! And, I've toggled macro control on and off. I've also reduced the quality + frame speed rate. Nothing! I was in Tel Aviv videoing these guys playing volleyball soccer/futbol, and it's embarrassing how many times it completely blurred out in the middle of recording a video.

I've contemplated the Android route as well, but that totally sucks....when I only have Apple products.

APPLE HELP!!!!! This is unacceptable!

Mar 24, 2023 5:14 PM in response to aran145

In my case the problem turned out to be a cage that was obstructing the lidar sensor. That sensor has a wide angle of view. My post on that issue: The opening for the lidar sensor is not wide enough on the SmallRig 3562 cage. Lidar is used in focussing on the iPhone 13 Pro and I believe the 14 Pro. The result is that on certain moves the image can intermittently go way out of focus and stay that way for several seconds. This was confirmed on 3/24/23 by a tech at SmallRig. The problem is more pronounced on some video Apps than others. REC Pro Video Recorder is especially prone to this problem. I have not seen the problem on the Apple App. I milled the opening out to approximately 10 mm diameter and the problem has not returned. It's important to take down the little ears where the lidar window joins the larger one. SmallRig is a great company and I trust they will rectify this.

Nov 23, 2022 10:00 AM in response to aran145

Same problem just started happening this week - camera works in portrait mode, albeit "move further back" but works. In normal mode it keeps trying to focus over and over again and cannot so it's stuck in a loop.

This is very very bad as almost everyone uses their iPhone for photos.

If this is not addressed by Apple, I will return mine under Apple Care+

Jan 1, 2023 3:31 PM in response to aran145

I have the iPhone 14 Pro Max. The only thing I am disappointed with is the camera. My XS Max had a better camera than this thing. It’s really embarrassing when my sisters will use my phone. We always have Android vs. Apple debates and they always bring up that my camera doesn’t even work. Videos lose focus every 10-15 secs, photos are extremely fuzzy. The problem this camera has is focusing. It doesn’t know what to focus on and gets confused every 2 seconds. Like clearly I’m trying to take a family pic so focus on the family and not the background!! Pitiful

Jan 11, 2023 1:18 AM in response to aran145

I picked up a 256 on Saturday 7th and by yesterday (10th jan) I took it back for a refund. The lack of ability to keep focus on video was the main issue I didn’t trust. These things are supposedly excellent for videoing. Shame. I liked a lot of how it worked but it seemed unfinished. Also the camera lenses stick out too far for my liking. Just asking to be broken in normal use.

back to the 2020 SE until a better option comes along (yes - it was that poor!)

Feb 1, 2023 5:36 AM in response to aran145

Working in Social Media this is EXTREMELY annoying when I’m trying to create content for clients, it’s only started happening for me the past month? I’m sure I didn’t have this issue when I first purchased in October it’s something I’ve only noticed recently.

Ive done everything I can apart from a factory reset but a lot of people have said this makes no difference anyway!

Feb 25, 2023 5:51 PM in response to aran145

Have you found a fix? My wife’s 14 Pro goes out of focus when shooting videos, but not every time. We’ve been to the Apple Store three times already and the camera have been replaced twice, and yet the problem persists. Finally the Apple Store decided to replace her phone. We are now waiting for the replacement phone, though fearing it will have the same problem. The lead technician insisted it’s either user error (we need to tap when we shoot a video to focus, huh?????) and that the phone is performing within its specifications. I sure hope not. Has anyone figure out what yo do yet? Thanks.

Mar 23, 2023 10:21 AM in response to aran145

Question: Are you using your iPhone in a cage? I am having a similar focus problem in videos with an iPhone 13 Pro but only when it's in a cage with a metal lens board. If I remove the lens board or take the cage off the focus problem goes away. It is specific in my case to the REC Pro Video App in my case. I have not seen the problem with the Apple App.

Apr 22, 2023 12:15 PM in response to aran145

its a crap camera. I upgraded cuz my xr finally took a dump on me. however i now wish i went with a different cheaper phone and bought a dmr camera. I do digital scope photography for a hobby and the 14 sucks. the xr with spotting scope i can see bullet holes on a target at 100 yards. with the 14 pro the target is fuzzy. So apple why would I even try to go take pictures of elk, grizzlies or other wildlife with the 14 pro if it can’t even handle a 100 yards ?

iPhone 14 pro camera keeps losing focus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.