Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I manage the Recents Folder?

Can I manage the Recents Folder? Can entries be deleted?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 9:30 PM

Only if you want to delete the files. A Smart Folder collects the files that match its criteria to display them in one place. They are not an alias or copy. They are the actual files.

If you don’t like the results, but would like some similar functionality, you could make your own Smart Folder with the criteria you choose.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2021 9:30 PM in response to john mfromgilbert

Only if you want to delete the files. A Smart Folder collects the files that match its criteria to display them in one place. They are not an alias or copy. They are the actual files.

If you don’t like the results, but would like some similar functionality, you could make your own Smart Folder with the criteria you choose.

Oct 12, 2021 4:42 AM in response to OAC-ChrisMathieso

OAC-ChrisMathieso wrote:

So why have almost all the files suddenly disappeared? I didn't delete anything. Where can I edit the criteria? Only a few pictures are currently showing and far from most. No documents, or anything else... It seems to me that the update of High Sierra (10-13.6) has changed the settings.

The last update for High Sierra was a Security Update and was in November 2020. This posting is appearing in Big Sur. Can one please clarify.

Oct 12, 2021 7:24 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, Barney. I guess the index must have corrupted itself, although recent updates might be involved. If I move from 'recents' (which has a total of 8 sundry files between 2013 and 2020) to 'This Mac', I get jpegs from 2006, which is quite good even for a 2011 iMac. But the record dies in 2018. Maybe the index caught Covid? It has never been that helpful, but since the Finder always starts there, one wonders.

Can I manage the Recents Folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.