Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Patchy wireless charging on iPhone 12 Pro

Anyone else experiencing patchy wireless charging on this model? I have tried different cases and bought new chargers to no avail.

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 4:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 6:09 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, f14v1!

We understand you're having trouble while charging your iPhone 12 Pro wirelessly. We'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

Try the suggestions here, especially removing the case off your iPhone: How to wirelessly charge your iPhone

"Learn more

• Wireless charging uses magnetic induction to charge your iPhone. Don't place anything between your iPhone and the charger. Magnetic mounts, magnetic cases, or other objects between your iPhone and the charger might reduce performance or damage magnetic strips or RFID chips like those found in some credit cards, security badges, passports, and key fobs. If your case holds any of these sensitive items, remove them before charging or make sure that they aren’t between the back of your iPhone and the charger.
  • If your iPhone isn't charging or is charging slowly and your iPhone has a thick case, metal case, or battery case, try removing the case.
  • If your iPhone vibrates—when it gets a notification, for example—your iPhone might shift position. This can cause the charging mat to stop providing power to your iPhone. If this happens often, consider turning off vibration, turning on Do Not Disturb, or using a case to prevent movement.
  • Depending on the charging mat you have, you might hear faint noises while your iPhone charges.
  • Your iPhone might get slightly warmer while it charges. To extend the lifespan of your battery, if the battery gets too warm, software might limit charging above 80 percent. Your iPhone will charge again when the temperature drops. Try moving your iPhone and charger to a cooler location.
  • Your iPhone won't charge wirelessly when connected to USB. If your iPhone is connected to your computer with USB, or if it's connected to a USB power adapter, your iPhone will charge using the USB connection."

Have a great day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2021 6:09 AM in response to f14v1

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, f14v1!

We understand you're having trouble while charging your iPhone 12 Pro wirelessly. We'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

Try the suggestions here, especially removing the case off your iPhone: How to wirelessly charge your iPhone

"Learn more

• Wireless charging uses magnetic induction to charge your iPhone. Don't place anything between your iPhone and the charger. Magnetic mounts, magnetic cases, or other objects between your iPhone and the charger might reduce performance or damage magnetic strips or RFID chips like those found in some credit cards, security badges, passports, and key fobs. If your case holds any of these sensitive items, remove them before charging or make sure that they aren’t between the back of your iPhone and the charger.
  • If your iPhone isn't charging or is charging slowly and your iPhone has a thick case, metal case, or battery case, try removing the case.
  • If your iPhone vibrates—when it gets a notification, for example—your iPhone might shift position. This can cause the charging mat to stop providing power to your iPhone. If this happens often, consider turning off vibration, turning on Do Not Disturb, or using a case to prevent movement.
  • Depending on the charging mat you have, you might hear faint noises while your iPhone charges.
  • Your iPhone might get slightly warmer while it charges. To extend the lifespan of your battery, if the battery gets too warm, software might limit charging above 80 percent. Your iPhone will charge again when the temperature drops. Try moving your iPhone and charger to a cooler location.
  • Your iPhone won't charge wirelessly when connected to USB. If your iPhone is connected to your computer with USB, or if it's connected to a USB power adapter, your iPhone will charge using the USB connection."

Have a great day!

Sep 19, 2021 9:13 AM in response to alma1090

Hi and thank you for your response. I can confirm that:

1- my case is thin

2- there are no credit cards, metals key fobs or any other materials between the phone and the charger

3- my chargers are ALL QI certified.

4- The chargers are ALL brand new.

5- I have removed the case

Still, considering the above mentioned, my phone charging is patchy. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.

I would also like to mention that my previous IPhone (8 plus) NEVER caused me issues when charging wirelessly AND all the other mobiles in my home (3 of different brands) charge perfectly well on all the chargers.

I have also found various references to the issue online showing this is a well know issue to everyone else bar Apple. I will happily share these sources here.

I would very much like a solution as I have invested serious amount of money on this device and would simply like for it to work as expected.

Being patronised does not help and does not solve my problem.

Kind regards

Patchy wireless charging on iPhone 12 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.